TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

These stripes are junk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: These stripes are junk
    Posted: Aug/28/2007 at 4:16am
Bought in June 2006 -got from (Kennedy)- correction, APD - the c-stripe kit for my 70 Jav.
Took car and stripe set to body shop to have installed.
He called and said "didn't try right side, driver side was junk"
HE said it was the cheapest, thinnest material he's ever worked with, and would not stick. It would stick in places, not in others, and didn't stay put, even after the soap/water used in the process was dried. He said has done hundreds of them and was a bit skeptical when he unpackaged them, but tried. Wet down side of car, applied, squeegeed in place, tried to remove bubbles and he said they would not stick and were impossible to work with.
So  -  they did get it,  it went to pieces when they tried to get it applied and finally would not even stick! He said the adhesive was crap and the stripes as thin as the cheap pinstripe tape you buy.
The originals were a very heavy material, pretty good stuff.

Has anyone used the stripes from Kennedy APD? Anyone had good luck?
Where is the BEST place to get the BEST stripes?
I don't want the same cheap junk back. Sounds like the adhesive wasn't good from the get-go they way it sounded, they didn't even stay put.
** Have not yet called to see about resolution - this is not a commentary on the supplier at all, but the product, and looking for other experiences**

Again, nothing at all but totally bad luck with this thing from the onset, everything from paint to vinyl top to clips to now the strips, nothing has worked or gone well. I've seen the cars they work on, everything from small sports cars to police cars, jeeps to pickups and classic cars. It ain't their first stripe set to work with..........

I'm SO pissed! Angry

That's $275 down the toilet!  Toilet
I ain't got money to even buy new ones, what the !@#$% am I talking about!

Well, this means now the car won't be at Cordova.............. *ha, maybe bring it and the stripes and see what an AMC person can do?

Edited by billd - Aug/29/2007 at 12:49am
IowaEagle View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2007 at 5:28am
That really sucks Bill!  Have you talked to Kennedy yet?
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2007 at 5:48am
Yea, I'd talk to kennedy, at least give it a shot. From what I have heard Phoenix graphics are the best out there. I don't know where Jeff gets his stripes, but I know the 70 AMX c-stripes they have aren't that great.
AMO Newsletter Editor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2007 at 5:53am
It's been over a year since I bought them.......... will he even talk about it?

I can't even find stripes on APDs site as I was going to ask what they carry now but so swamped with things now with offices down, sick kitties, etc.

edit:(perhaps they no longer sell them???)

I think it will get parked until next year, ......or.........................

Edited by billd - Aug/29/2007 at 12:49am
IowaEagle View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaEagle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2007 at 6:22am
If for no other reason so they know they are not any good.  Have other folks here used them for their stripes?
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2007 at 7:10am
Well, junk is junk. I'd send it back to him either way - it is useless to you.

www.phoenixgraphix.com is the place where some of the vendors get them. I think Nick Alfano was also making some at some point?
AMO Newsletter Editor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2007 at 7:37am
Mark at AMARK said HE makes and sells them, and claims they are much better. I emailed him for advice - he seems really nice and I figured if nothing else, he'd know what was good or bad. (I'm gonna get the emissions decal and some other stuff from him anyway)
Before I bought these I asked in the "old forum" and others said they would be ok. Well, perhaps they changed between then and all so I can't blame anyone else. Who knew?

Craig at TMC said he's so convinced that these are junk and of his abilities to do stripes and graphics that he said if I could find anyone to put the right side on straight and without bubbles or wrinkles, he'd buy me the whole set and do it for free.
I though he'd got one side on, but misunderstood - after 2 hours on the left side, he gave up and put the right set in the back seat.
I checked, they ARE thin, really thin. About 1/3 of the originals and they wrinkle at the drop of a hat, the glue isn't good, and I can see them shrinking and being a problem later.

Edit: ** I handled the parts they tried to work with - the adhesive wasn't very good - it didn't seem all that sticky, and I was told, they would stick, then not stick, and when trying to remove bubbles, it would suddenly break loose and wrinkle up.**

Edited by billd - Aug/29/2007 at 12:51am
Craven View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2007 at 11:18am
In all fairness and once you recover from the shock of the situation, you should talk to your original vendor.  Regardless of the item/date/vendor they should have the opportunity to resolve the situation...maybe even before taking the complaint to an open forum...IMHO.  If I were a vendor, that's the opportunity I'd hope to have with my customer.

The hurdles you're leaping will make the pleasure of your finished car even sweeter.  I've watched your posts and progress and I'm impressed.  Keep your chin up...if you wanted an easy resto you could have gotten a Camaro!

Craven
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2007 at 1:00pm
Craven gives good advice. I think he should start a thread on his current project (it might make you feel better Bill!). He even lets me come over and tear things apart from time to time.
AMO Newsletter Editor
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/28/2007 at 1:27pm
He's a reseller - I'm going to look up the original invoice and give a call. It's been a he%% of a week, almost lost Misty last night (big scare) and now she's on daily meds and special care, etc. and with that car it's been one thing after another!

edit: ** Again, it isn't a commentary on the seller themselves - the sellers have always seemed to want to resolve things in the past, but it IS a comment on the product quality, suitability of purpose, etc. And, to see if others have the same experience..........or if things have changed. I have NOT been able to find the stripe kits on APDs site. People should continue to support these folks, IMO. But be wary of the stripes - the seller can't always control quality of the parts they sell, but the quality of the seller is based on how they would handle such issues as they occur..........
Please don't misunderstand this and take it as a "this supplier is bad and they carry junk" - this MAY be an isolated case!

While waiting at the body shop, a fellow came running across the street from the city garage - he was an ex-AMC mechanic from the 60's and 70's and wow, did he have stories to tell, and knew all the little things. He even asked if this had the classic 70 dash wrinkle. He remembered such details, and some issues with doors, fitment, the 71+ Javelins and AMXs, etc.
I could listen to him for hours. He wanted to see my car - said it's the straightest Javelin he's seen.
Anyway, if no more equipment crashes, cats stay ok, etc. i'll give a call and see - perhaps things have even changed since I bought it.
Agreed, he needs to know and have a shot at commenting. He didn't make them - just sells 'em

Edited by billd - Aug/29/2007 at 12:55am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic