TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Thermostat Housing Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amxdreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 12:48am
Depending on price I would get a couple.
Tony
Vancouver, BC
1970 AMX
1972 Badassador
AMO#10333
tomslik View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomslik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 7:32am
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

They are repopped in cast iron. I'd be in for a clean aluminum one.

Bob
tufcj

with o-ring seals

67 american 290/4speed
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 10:12am
Originally posted by mmaher94087 mmaher94087 wrote:

The problem is that folks think the repro parts will be around forever and therefore will always be available when needed. This is of course false. Buy the part when one sees it. It won't be around tomorrow. In the future, if the part is not used, it can be sold. As an example; I ask: "Where are all the repro grilles"?

Agree 100%.  If a reproduction part comes on the market that I need, or MIGHT need, unless it's a gaziliion dollars or the repop is trash, I'll buy it and put it on the shelf.   When Amark repopped the adapter rings for the Machine air cleaner seal I bought two of them.  They won't be there forever.  As to the housings, with everything I've read about flange leaks and casting porosity with the OEM versions, I can't believe that there wouldn't be some kind of market for these.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 11:59am
Here's the scoop on application from the AMC parts book:

Mid '70 360/390, yes to thermostatic vacuum valve in the housing.
'71 no.
'72 and up yes, to the housing with the hole in it, plugged for some applications; valve in it for others.
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 2:21pm
I have programs and can make them from bar stock, BUT I need
a would need a few dozen orders to keep them out of the
"Rich and Famous" category in price.

But honestly who would want to spend a few hundred on a water spout????

I did it for kicks, but just sayin...

Edited by Boris Badanov - Dec/09/2017 at 2:28pm
Gremlin Dreams
sweatlock View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 4:49pm
The aluminum ones corrode and pit, some to the extent of having large craters and leaking pinholes. JB Weld can save them short-term, but long-term you're gonna need a new one. Once the gasket surface begins to corrode, you're done. The one on my 360 was toast and I had a difficult time finding a good early OEM aluminum housing to use - I now have a good one on the car plus 1 spare. They don't last forever and they're not making originals any more.

As far as good repros being available forever with the example given regarding grilles, just look at Amark and their Rally-Pac stuff; they make a run of X number of parts and as demand dies down they don't make another run. So if you're one of the handful that wants something, it's not worth it for Amark to tool it all back up. I think the current crop of repro bumpers are in the same category - it's tricky for a manufacturer to figure out demand vs. price so that they don't end up with excess stock. If they can make just enough to sell at a reasonable price AND still make a profit, then they'll make that quantity and no more. It's better for them to sell out and leave some people wanting than have stuff sitting on a shelf. They're in business to make money, bottom line.

So buy what you can while it's still available.

Edited by sweatlock - Dec/09/2017 at 4:56pm
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 6:33pm
Hey Boris B. that intake and thermostat housing sure look good; congratulations.

Just had a hunch to look up Buick V6 but found one for Olds V8 instead... this one looks very much like '66-'91 AMV8 water neck:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectre-Performance-Water-Neck-Oldsmobile-V8-Chrome-4733/391680041746?hash=item5b31f32312:g:~E8AAOSw44BYfsIZ&vxp=mtr

...didn't research it at all/not sure about the bolt spread...
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
Boris Badanov View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boris Badanov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/09/2017 at 10:03pm
The cast Aluminum ones were just as good in the bad old days of
cheep junk yard parts and easily obtained AMC parts.

The Iron ones are good, but weigh a few lbs.....
Gremlin Dreams
AMXRWB View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXRWB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2017 at 12:18am
I buy the reproduction cast iron units on feebay.They are stamped made in China but are a good quality. Very heavy.Complete with the gasket and pipe plug fitting.Buy spares before they are gone.
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/10/2017 at 9:02am
Originally posted by amcenthusiast amcenthusiast wrote:

had a hunch to look up Buick V6 but found one for Olds V8 instead... this one looks very much like '66-'91 AMV8 water neck:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spectre-Performance-Water-Neck-Oldsmobile-V8-Chrome-4733/391680041746?hash=item5b31f32312:g:~E8AAOSw44BYfsIZ&vxp=mtr

The Olds ones will fit, but the holes have to be ovaled slightly. Bolt center on the Olds neck is slightly narrower.

Bob
tufcj

69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic