TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Thermostat Housing Questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Thermostat Housing Questions
    Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 11:44am
1) Is there any interest in a reproduction early style Gen 2 V8 thermostat housing?
This would be the one without any holes for sensors! Just a clean looking OE style early T/stat housing!

2) I'm not close to any of my AMC parts books right now and need to find out what years of the Gen 2 AMC V8's used the thermostat housing without any of the sensor provisions.

66 to ????

Thanks
   Dennis
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
ramblinrev View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramblinrev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 12:22pm
'66 1/2 to mid 1970. I can't say without referencing parts books if all '70 V-8's changed over to the thermostatically controlled vacuum advance (hence the vacuum switch port in the housing), but I know they added that starting in March 1970 production-at least for the 360 4-barrel. And since anti-pollution equipment continued to get added, I'm thinking that a '71 and up V8 likely had the vacuum switch too.
Having said that, many potential customers would probably like a nice, clean, no-switch, thermostat housing!
74 Hornet Hatchback X twins (since 1977)
62 American Convertible (still worth the $50 I spent in 1973!) AMCRC #513, AMO #384
70 AMX 360 4-speed (since 1981)
AmeriMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmeriMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 12:25pm
My (early) '71 housing has no sensor fittings.

Edited by AmeriMan - Dec/08/2017 at 12:28pm
larue390@comcast.net
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 12:56pm
They are repopped in cast iron. I'd be in for a clean aluminum one.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
71SC360 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 71SC360 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 1:10pm
Originally posted by AmeriMan AmeriMan wrote:

My (early) '71 housing has no sensor fittings.

IIRC, at least mid to late production 71 had non-sensor housings.

THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by tufcj tufcj wrote:

They are repopped in cast iron. I'd be in for a clean aluminum one.

Bob
tufcj

As far as I know nobody has "repopped" the early version in cast iron, aluminum, or anything else! Where can a person get one of those Bob??

All of the cast iron ones I have seen are all for later models which have sensor/switch provisions.
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
ADAM12MATADOR View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADAM12MATADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 2:35pm
My '70 AMX has a 360 / auto, build date April '70.  No sensor holes. If you can cast them in aluminum, i think they would be a great seller. I just installed a repop cast iron housing on my '73 Matador. I just put a pipe plug in the sensor hole. Not concours, but it works. 
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

As far as I know nobody has "repopped" the early version in cast iron, aluminum, or anything else!
A few of the aftermarket vendors were selling a chromed aluminum version for AMC that were really for some GM brand, Buick or Pontiac, if I remember correctly. They did not line up well and the bolt holes had to be reamed a little too. Very poor quality aluminum was used and in some cases they would corrode through and develop pin holes in a year or so.

An aluminum version made just for AMC would be great.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
tufcj View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tufcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by THE MENACE THE MENACE wrote:

As far as I know nobody has "repopped" the early version in cast iron, aluminum, or anything else! Where can a person get one of those Bob??

All of the cast iron ones I have seen are all for later models which have sensor/switch provisions.

You are right about the cast ones having sensor holes. I have one on the shelf and I was thinking it didn't, but I looked it up and it does.

Bob
tufcj
69 AMX
74 Javelin AMX
67 Rogue

If you need a tool and don't buy it...
you'll eventually pay for it...
and not have it.
Henry Ford
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/08/2017 at 2:58pm
Yep, late 71 has no hole, and very clean in appearance.

Oddly, i haven't seen many requests for the no port housings. Only remember seeing a couple through the years. Mostly peeps have gone to the custom swivel type or aftermarket with ports.

71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic