TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

“The X”. Bringing back the Glory.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: “The X”. Bringing back the Glory.
    Posted: Mar/31/2020 at 7:54am
I am new to the forum and “kind of new” to the classic car world. So far I have been received on these message boards with open arms and I love it. I wanted to create this thread to start the documentation of the process and journey I plan to go on with my newly acquired car and this community.

Introduction:

I feel this is as important as anything else I’ll say on this forum because it means the most to me. I am now the proud owner of a 1970 BBO AMX. It was my grandparents car that they completely restored in the late 90s - early 00s. This car has won countless awards at local and club level shows, and even a handful at AMO level shows and has been their pride and joy for nearly 25 years.

My relationship with my grandparents was very unique. They helped raise me as a child till about 4 years old, I spent every holiday with them and would spend a month living with them every summer while I was school aged. They bought me my first car (99 mustang GT)(PSA: terrible car for a 16 yr old boy trying to stay OUT of trouble), and I have so so many other good memories with them.

My grandparents were always car people. They would race at ATCO in New Jersey and also had show cars, later in life they got “The X”. They got a garage kept 1970 BBO AMX that was all original and even had original paint up until the early 00’s. They tore the car apart fixing things that needed fixing, polishing EVERYTHING, and they pieced together a car that won the “Richard Teague” Best of Show at the AMO nationals in 05. During the restoration phase my grandfather would save projects for me for the summer months when I would visit. He taught me how things worked, what to listen for, what to smell for, how to fix little things and big things alike. He taught me what fluids worked best, what cleaners to use and even how to polish chrome and aluminum like a pro (now that I think of it, maybe he was just getting free labor). My memories of going to car shows and being in the car culture fueled by my grandparents, stemmed a desire to one day own a classic and build it up myself. 

Sadly this March my grandfather passed away due to a sudden illness.

Due to financial stressors the car was going to be sold to help recoup expenses and help my grandmother continue her life. My grandmother refused. She told us that Her and my grandfather agreed that if anything was ever to happen to them and if the other couldn’t care for the car like it should be then it would go to me... I was shocked, overwhelmed, ecstatic and saddened all at the same time. Luckily I was financially able to pay for the cost related his passing to relieve that burden. It’s the least I could do. 

The car had been sitting for about 2 years in a pop up style car tent, you could tell. The once bright orange shine was hidden by dirt, pollen, dust and cat prints. The interior had some spotted mildew here and there on the leather surfaces and the engine bay that you could once eat off of was covered with caked on fluids, pitting and rust. For most this car still looks great, which it does, but to me I was overcome by sadness to think of the struggle it had to be for my grandparents to watch “The X” slowly rot before their eyes, and having only their age as a barrier to how much work they could do to upkeep it.

After a small argument with other family members my grandmother walked out to the car with me keys in hand. I was expecting her to bend down into the seat and “try” to start it up, but she handed me the keys and said “go ahead, you do it, she’ll start”... I took the keys opened the door and sat in the seat. Tears filled my eyes could only think of what I had lost. I put the key in the ignition and turned the key, she cranked turned over and I instinctively pumped the gas quickly and she fired right up. The idle was rough but I smiled and knew that this was my car now, and even though it’s going to take some work and it’s going to be time-consuming and financially and emotionally hard, I owe this to my grandfather to re-restore “The X” as he always called it, back to its glory.

After all, I feel like he set me up for the car, as I was young though I don’t remember much of the specifics, but that is why I am glad I have this forum and this community to reach out to for help. 

Edited by Cookie - Mar/31/2020 at 8:00am
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2020 at 8:02am
Great story and I'm sorry to hear about your Grandfather. I'm glad you posted your story here and good luck bringing the X back to it's glory. Smile

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
RSX 401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RSX 401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/31/2020 at 8:14am
Sorry for your loss but happy for the great memories created with your Grandfather. 

Keep us posted with updates on "The X".......
I'll follow these lines a little ways more,

Until I can find what I'm looking for.

With the pedal to the metal,

I'm gaining my speed.

Riding down low in my AMC.....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic