TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The mysterious case of the rev counter.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The mysterious case of the rev counter.
    Posted: Jan/13/2017 at 2:16pm
My car has a rev counter, fitted from new. Runs off the coil neg.
Never seemed that accurate although as I (still) haven't driven the car yet, hadn't paid too much attention.

I'm sitting in the car today running the engine, hoping I've got to the end of the problems and can take it out for a run, but no. As I rev up to about 2,000 there's a bad misfire. Shakes the engine. If I try to rev through it, I can and it clears, but while it's missing it's pretty bad.

Then I notice that the rev counter stops rising at the point where the misfire starts, and when it gets bad the needle goes all the way back to zero.
I tried disconnecting the rev counter in case it's somehow causing a problem, no change.

Misfires hot or cold.
Timing is OK plugs are new, firing order is right, points gap is OK. Original coil & ballast, the coil impedance (do I mean that?) is OK for the ballast. Fuel pressure is correct, I set the wet fuel level. Still on the old carb.

So, is the rev counter trying to tell me something about the ignition, or is it just faulty?

Ivor
63 Canadian Ambo 990 V8 327
74 LandRover Lightweight V8 SIII
Shopping Trolley
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/13/2017 at 2:28pm
It could be the condenser. Even some new ones may not last long. They use to be part of the points assembly, but now these days they are separate for some odd reason. I recommend replacing both points and condenser when tuning up.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 5:37am
Thanks. Hopefully I can find some points in my local shop without having to ship them 5,000 miles.

Did ask at the shop where he's very good at finding cross-references for old parts - he has a lot of parts books and doesn't rely on the computer. However, no joy for the 327, perhaps not surprising. I'll take the points off the car so we can look for a match.

Probably not hard to find a condenser that will fit on the baseplate, but how do I measure the capacitance. Rather than get into that, I think I'll fit a modern coil and ballast, then I can use a standard new condenser in the 0.25-0.29 microfarad range.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 10:39am
I seem to recall you have the Autolite distributor. Ford points from any 60s models will fit. If you have the Delco, Chevy/GM points from any 60s models. Personally, I'd go ahead and order a Pertronix Ignitor and forget trying to find reliable points can condensor sets. They are out there, but hard to find over here for American made cars, can imagine your difficulties!

You might want to disconnect the rev counter. It's possible that it has a malfunction causing issues with the coil, though not likely.
Frank Swygert
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 2:06pm
Thankyou for that thought. I changed the coil and ballast today, no better, so it begins to look as if the points/condenser may be at fault. I did notice that the inside of the dizzie - yes, Autolite - is rather oily.

That would be Ford US, I presume.

Was thinking of a Lumenition, if they have a kit that will fit.
Could you possibly point me at a suitable Pertronix? I looked on eBay US but I'm not seeing anything.

The battery is earthed to the engine, so no earthing problems as far as the ignition is concerned.

Btw, another odd symptom I noticed when trying to check the timing with my light - the light has an inductive pickup that goes on No 1 lead, can also read rpm. After a while I notice that the rpm count had halved. Very odd.

This is my first car since 1983 that has a full-time fan. Very hard keeping the timing light cables away from the blades. If it eats my fingers one day, I won't be too surprised.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 3:58pm
Check the websites for JEGS or Summit Racing for the Pertronix kits.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
990V8 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 990V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 5:25pm
Thanks.
Summit only list for the Delco.
JEGS is a bit harder to search, but in its 5 pages of Pertronix, doesn't have what I need.
I emailed Summit to ask if they have a kit.

Ivor
Shopping Trolley
Lucas660 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucas660 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 5:27pm
If you can get your hands on a dwell meter I would check to see if your points gap is perfect, it sounds like the points might be bouncing at high rpm. I have part number Bosch GD143v for the points, but that is the delco remy distributor with the windowed cap, which you can adjust the dwell with the engine running. I have never seen a different type of distributor for the rambler v8.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 6:02pm
I've gone on the Petronix site and got help from them (customer service rep?) to find a correct number.

I also had a problem a long time ago and found that after taking the points and condenser out and re-installing them it was good. Maybe a wire was shorting or something. I would think that if the condenser and points are good make sure the gap is not too wide like maybe .016 max. Also check the top of the coil for carbon tracking and have a look at it at night to see if it leaks.
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/15/2017 at 9:16pm
Maybe confirm there is a good clean Earth/Ground Cable/Wire from the Block to the Crossmember on
the passenger side from the Motor Mount Stand-Off Bracket to Block Bolt to a Crossmember through-bolt.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic