TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

the end of the road? (8.5" clutch unobtainium)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 12:13pm
And if your pressure plate needs to be rebuilt, I recommend Tennessee Clutch and Supply in Nashville.  Speak with Randall there and confirm that he checks the spring tensions and exactly what is done when he rebuilds one.  I have had two disks rebuilt there, but I don't remember if I have had a pressure plate rebuilt.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 3:03pm
I just checked and I have a 8 1/2 inch clutch disk that I think/hope is rebuildable.  I would recommend Tennessee Clutch and supply for the work.  One of the rebound springs in it has rubbed against something has flat spots, though.  It is yours for the cost of postage if you want it.  I do have another complete 8 1/2 inch clutch and if I do not get a car which may come to me in the next couple of weeks, I will keep you in mind.  PM me if interested. Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 11:00pm
i just went all through this stuff. it is true the "eight inch" clutch is essentially unavailable. i used Joe's recommendation of Tennessee Clutch & Supply, had stuff built twice, they do good work, but they are restricted by core availability.

the 1"-10 spline disc is used by T96 and T14, only, as far as i know. 

i have two 8" clutch discs i tried to sell on eBay, no takers! one is rebuilt with a few thousand miles, but is "like new" ($30). the other is rebuilt, never used ($40). (i'd sent a pile of parts to Tennessee and these are what's left).  also have a 9" pressure plate ("cover") rebuilt by Tennessee, never used ($40).

pulling the flywheel out and having it redrilled for another pattern is not that big a deal (but don't cheapt out on the shop that does the work, you want that thing CENTERED!) if you do that dont' bother with any AMC part! i bought and have here a 1993 Ford Mustang 3.8L 4cyl clutch kit that is the ideal replacement. though i have not actually installed it (since i've got a good AMC 8" installed, and one on the shelf spare, sorry not for sale) i checked the diameter, disc fitment, and release bearing finger height, and it's all good. and the price, under $90, included the Ford disc i needed (for my T5) that fits under the AMC 8" pressure plate, plus TO bearing, tool, etc. cheaper than rebuilt junk and new parts! the 6-hole bolt pattern of the Ford part is less than 1/8" different from the AMC part!!

that is absolutely the way i will go next time i need a clutch.

PM me if you wanna buy these clutches from me. i can throw in new AMC release bearings for free, somehonw i have 4, 5 of them.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 11:03pm
btw, though much of the work i did is of no use to you, the two pages (the one at the URL below, and the "notes" link at the top of the page) has a lot of AMC small six clutch info.

23baseball3 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 23baseball3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 10:39am
https://www.summitracing.com/oh/search/department/transmission-drivetrain/part-type/clutch-kits?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&N=4294949522%2B4294925559%2B4294925019%2B4294925001%2B4294873316%2B4294506653

I'm wondering if any of these could work. 
1979 Spirit AMX 304/4 Speed AC
2005 Volvo V70R
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2017 at 10:41am
Have you tried Fort Wayne Clutch? They are a pretty big rebuilder and have come up with some real oddball hard to find stuff in the past.
AMO Newsletter Editor
oilspot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/18/2017 at 5:37am
So the old volvo disc is a drop-in replacement, and may fit up with the v6 mustang PP with only redrilling in the flywheel? If the Mustang PP fits under the bell, and fits right with the throwout,, this sounds like the answer
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 1:35am
Originally posted by 23baseball3 23baseball3 wrote:

https://www.summitracing.com/oh/search/department/transmission-drivetrain/part-type/clutch-kits?SortBy=Default&SortOrder=Ascending&N=4294949522%2B4294925559%2B4294925019%2B4294925001%2B4294873316%2B4294506653

I'm wondering if any of these could work. 

ooh, nice find!! the P.P. is unlikely to fit, but the disc very well might. the thing to watch for is the thickness and position of the center spline portion; i found a Buick clutch once that was correct (for my 1-1/16x10 need) but the center was shifted rearward and would hit the bearing retainer.

if you can find a disc only, buy it... you can always return it. if you do take lots of pics and measurements!

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 10:59pm
that clutch is also available from RockAuto.com, $140.

manufacturer: LUK
part number: 18-002

application: Alfa Romeo Spider, 1975-1994. 

clutch covers are so similar in design there is an excellent chance that you could have the flywheel drilled to accept it, and shim up the clutch fork pivot with one or two lock washers to accommodate the (probably, i'm guessing) lower finger height of the diaphragm clutch. it is very likely that also the Rambler release bearing will ride OK on the diaphragm fingers.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/21/2017 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by oilspot oilspot wrote:

So the old volvo disc is a drop-in replacement, and may fit up with the v6 mustang PP with only redrilling in the flywheel? If the Mustang PP fits under the bell, and fits right with the throwout,, this sounds like the answer

the '93 4cyl clutch cover DOES fit under the tiny early rambler six bellhousing -- i check parts fitment here on my car. it's all a go. 

but i think it's very likely that the LUK 18-002 clutch kit is likely superior as it's all in one for T96 cars, if the bolt pattern can be worked. it sure looks like the Ford part!

lovely find. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic