TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

the end of the road? (8.5" clutch unobtainium)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: the end of the road? (8.5" clutch unobtainium)
    Posted: Aug/10/2017 at 8:47pm
After own g and enjoying a 1962 Classic for the last 7 years, I've encountered a seemingly insurmountable obstacle. The car had 30,000 miles on it when we got it and needed a clutch. I sent the assembly to a rebuild er and it worked for awhile but the springs were too stiff and it broke. Off to the rebuild er again and it came back with lighter springs which worked well for a few seasons, even enduring getting glazed badly during a parade with a buddy driving it. But now, at 50k miles, I was driving it through town and stepped on it .... and it slipped badly. (My wife drives it most of the summer) after lengthy internet searching, I find that the clutch cover for this car is pure unobtainium, simply can't be had at any price. The rebuild er told me last time that "this is it" for the existing pressure plate. So what to do? Since the Great Scrap Metal Panic of 2009 there simply aren't any parts cars left for an automatic swap, and the torque tube driveshaft precludes an engine/trans swap without reworking the whole chassis. I hate to junk the car because it needs a clutch (It's a VERY nice car) Tube frame/LS 5.3 swap it? Redrill the flywheel for a different clutch that's still available? Billet custom machined pressure plate? The disc is no problem, it crosses to a Volvo 122s. Maybe the Volvo PP could be adapted?
pacerman View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pacerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2017 at 9:24pm
If you just want to drive the car, redrill the flywheel for a different clutch that will otherwise fit.    I've never had to do it yet but I'm sure there are machine shops in my area that would make short work of such a job.  Joe
Happiness is making something out of nothing.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2017 at 9:36pm
They list heavy duty clutches for that year of 9.25 inches,  and later 196's had 9.125 clutches standard, and 9.5 optional,  in the Hollander manual.

9.125 are getting a little hard to find also,  but if you find one it would be more durable.

I have a 9.5 heavy duty pressure plate, and I think, a clutch, came of a 66 199 American fleet car, in my garage,  not bad shape and can be rebuilt.

I'll have to check my manuals to see if it's compatible.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
andyleonard View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyleonard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2017 at 10:04pm
We run Chevy clutch assemblies on old Maseratis as a matter of course. Find a driven disc that matches your flywheel diameter and has the correct splines for the input shaft, buy a matching pressure plate, and off to the machine shop. When they surface the flywheel have them center and drill/mount/balance the new pressure plate. The only work to do is verify the reach of the throwout bearing, which you can do on the bench by comparing the assembled height of new to old setups. Might have to hunt for a different TO bearing. Cheap and strong. Make sure you write down what you used so the next guy doesn't get lost.

There are outfits that will rebuild your old stuff but it's  a waste of time.
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/10/2017 at 10:21pm
I would imagine if you know the cushion measurements on the stock unit and the fully released height then you could call a company like McLeod and find a clutch that would work for you from the inventory of many they have. May even want to pursue aftermarket clutches for the hopped up ricers. That way you get something with a throwout length that allows use of the stock size and all you really need is a clutch disc with the correct splines. You could likely get your clutch disc rebuilt for a reasonable amount. That leaves your mods as simple as drilling the flywheel to accommodate the new pressure plate assembly. But as previously mentioned it would be wise to document the modifications so that a future owner wouldn't have to go through the same issues.

I recently tackled a similar beast with my configuration and getting a double clutch disc unit to fit a TKO transmission with a QT bellhousing. This was to stand up to the power that the motor is making and unfortunately I was not able to find anyone that had tackled quite the power level that I am making.

vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 4:09am
After my clutch disc broke and the transmission failed for the second time I got fed up and put in an automatic along with the column to go with it. If your transmission is reliable then re-drilling the flywheel for another pressure plate sounds like a good idea.

oilspot View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oilspot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 5:49am
Thanks everyone, I think the 9-1/8" unit is only an option with the "heavy duty" 3-speed, which would be the holy grail for me. Unfortunately, if one ever existed near me it's been crushed along with everything else that was sitting around in 2009. Same for an automatic. I was hoping someone had been through this before here and could identify the clutch cover to use if I redrill the flywheel. I'll measure the height of my volvo PP and see if I can make one of those work, since I know the disc fits already.
tyrodtom View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tyrodtom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 8:25am
The heavy duty clutch didn't always mean also heavy duty transmission.

That 9.5 heavy duty clutch I have from a 66 fleet car, was still in front of a T-96.
66 American SW, 66 American 2dr, 82 J10, 70 Hornet, Pound, Va.
SCRAGTOP View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SCRAGTOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 9:40am
I have an early 6 cyl clutch disc for sale... Its in the for sale section...(of course)

Don't know if its the part number you need. I also have a lot of other 6 cyl transmission parts. Gears, bearings, input shafts.

Jon

http://theamcforum.com/forum/nos-6-cyl-clutch-disc_topic88362_post786004.html?KW=disc#786004

Edited by SCRAGTOP - Aug/11/2017 at 9:44am
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/11/2017 at 12:05pm
A quick rockauto search turned up:
SACHS KF24201 {#270505, 273633} Info
Outer Diam: 8-1/2; Inner Diam: 1; TEETH:10T
$131+
62 Volvo 122 1.8l

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic