TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Lounge Area > Member Projects
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The Eagle has landed (In my wallet)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 7:40pm
Tell me more about your electrolysis set-up..........

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 7:50pm
How's the paint and the interior? Is most of your restorative work involved with the mechanicals and the under body ?
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2019 at 7:52pm
I’m with Ollie on the electrolysis details! I’m disassembling my rear end this winter and this would be awesome for my rear leaf bracket/shock mounting plate. 
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2019 at 4:07pm
George, the body is not too bad, has a fair amount of parking lot dings, oxidized paint, and the door hinges are in dire need of rebuilding but it is fairly rust free and much better than my convertible was.. The interior is about what you would expect in a car from 1980, hard leather seats, faded carpet, a droopy headliner, and in need of a good cleaning. Not sure how far I will go in both of these areas, but if the past is any predictor of the future, it will probably be further than I should.  Now for those that expressed an interest in the electrolysis set up, here is a picture of what I used.

I determined early on that all the parts that I had to do would fit in a 5 gallon bucket so that is what I used. The 4 anodes are pieces of rebar that were laying by the dumpster at work that I snagged before the scrappers got them, and secured them to the sides of the bucket. They are connected with some 12 gauge wire that I had, and the electric source is an old battery charger.  The bucket is filled with water, and you add 1 tablespoon of washing soda per gallon of water and stir it till it's dissolved. The part is hung from a piece of wood by some masonry tie wire that is wrapped around a bolt and connected to the power source. Just YouTube electrolysis rust removal and there are a bunch of videos on making a set up and how to use it. Takes about a day or so to de-rust a really bad part, and when it is done it is covered in a thick blackish coating that I washed off with soapy water and a small wire brush. I them detailed the part with a wire wheel in a drill, and it was ready for paint. One caution is that a by product of this process is oxygen and hydrogen, so make sure that you don't set this up in a tiny enclosed space or next to your furnace or water heater.

Finally started digging into the frame rail on the drivers side and this is what I found. Not pretty, but definitely fixable and a challenge all rolled into one.

First step is to make a template that can be used to fabricate a new piece, and then buy some sheet steel to make a patch panel, which in this case is 14 gauge that matches what AMC used in this area of the car.

Here I used the template to draw the part that needs cut out onto the steel.

I then used a jig saw with a metal cutting blade to cut out the part that will be used to form the patch panel.

Edited by fhpdave - Feb/20/2019 at 10:38am
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/19/2019 at 8:50pm
I envy your skills with sheet metal fab. and welding. Something I never learned.
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 5:45am
Originally posted by george w george w wrote:

I envy your skills with sheet metal fab. and welding. Something I never learned.

George.....your knowledge of Electrical are far more complex then most will ever understand!!    I know you could pic up the fab and weld if you needed.....but you don't buy that kind of cars....
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
SeanHatfield View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanHatfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 10:07am
Thanks for the electrolysis lesson Dave! Looks like the eagle project is coming along slowly but surely. If it's anything like your Ambassador, it will be incredible!
fhpdave View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fhpdave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 10:30am
Got a couple of minutes to finish my previous post while I am eating lunch.

I took some scrap treated 2 by 12 (helps when you work in the construction industry), screwed them together, transferred the pattern and cut it out on the band saw. I then clamped the metal to the wood, and drilled 15/32 holes in the metal in needed locations

Using the 7/16 strut rod bracket bolts, I made a sandwich with the metal blank in the middle.

Here is another view of the "sandwich" where I have already bent/formed the rear tab on the patch panel

Next I then wet down the forms using my wife's plant misting bottle and using a torch and ball peen hammer formed the curved flanges on the panel.

Here is the panel after the forms were removed and before I welded up the 2 relief cuts and trimmed the flanges.

After some welding/grinding and trimming this was the resultant piece.

Trial fit on the car, and I am satisfied with the fit. After I fabricate and weld in some of the inner structure, I will finish trimming and weld this in. I do realize that some people wonder why I am spending so much time and effort on what some people would say is an insignificant car, and quite honestly, I sometimes wonder myself. All I can say is that I enjoy the challenge, and I think its a guy thing to create something out of nothing. Enough "rambling" lunch time is over and I have to get back to work and earn some money for the next phase of my projects.

Edited by fhpdave - Feb/20/2019 at 10:41am
Old enough to know better - young enough not to care
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 7:40pm
That looks really good! It also shows that you don't always need fancy tools to make something. That's why I posted pictures of how I used a router to fabricate new aluminum grill trim.
I hope to meet you some day as we share the same motto "All I can say is that I enjoy the challenge". Thumbs Up Handshake

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
BBO390 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BBO390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/20/2019 at 8:53pm
Wow! I'm impressed!  Metal working is really fun isn't it!  Years ago my father was driving his 80 Eagle and noticed it was driving/steering strange.  He jacked it up and the steering box had nearly removed itself from the frame rail.  He got his use out of that car, he bought it from a junk yard, repaired the engine and drove it nearly ten years in PA.  It was finally time to re-re tire the car.  Those Eagles are great cars though.  Dave K.
69 BBO AMX 390 auto 1968 Rogue V8 68 AMX 343 AT 52A Project
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic