TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The Best amc platform

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 10:26am
Back in the AMC pro stock days, they went with the Hornet hatchback as it was 3 MPH faster with the same powertrain versus the Gremlin. It's on a long enough wheelbase to be stable, and it's light.   
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/15/2016 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by Traveller Traveller wrote:

Back in the AMC pro stock days, they went with the Hornet hatchback as it was 3 MPH faster with the same powertrain versus the Gremlin. It's on a long enough wheelbase to be stable, and it's light.   
Actually it was 3.5 mph faster and a .10 of a second quicker.

This was the difference between Wally Booth's Gremlin vs his engine from the Gremlin installed  in 

Maskins/ Kanner's Hornet. However this was a full on race car in the 700 HP range.

Tom
easydean View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote easydean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2016 at 5:34am
I have this one for sale-has a 9" Ford in it-clean straight body-solid floors.  Thanks, Dean cell 701-205-6906
6PakBee View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6PakBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2016 at 6:42am
Originally posted by shootist shootist wrote:

Well, while aerodynamics are certainly important to consider I don't think you would notice significant differences between one car or another provided the cars are of the same era of design. .....

I don't know what a significant difference would be defined as but comparing the '69 SuperBee to a '70 SuperBee with equivalent preparation, drivetrain, and driver, in a 1/4 mile run the '70 will beat the '69 every time.  That '70 is simply more aerodynamic.  Down side is if you've ever seen a '70 SuperBee you either love it or hate it.
Roger Gazur
1969 'B' Scheme SC/Rambler
1970 RWB 4-spd Machine
1970 Sonic Silver auto AMX

All project cars.

Forum Cockroach
amccar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2016 at 6:42am
My Gremlin runs 10.40's and is straight as an arrow
pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2016 at 9:08am
As my post said i was already thinking the hornet hatch might be the way to go the kicker to that one for me is how lite can you make that heavy freaking hatch without going fiberglass. and looking at room for headers but heck Bill Ketchum managed headers big enough headers for that 500 inch indy motor with stock suspension. and i already have a hornet or atleast access to one, its not as nice as the one for sale but for all intents and purposes it will work. i've heard that wally booth story about the hornet vs the gremlin but i wasn't sure if that held true to americans as well or javelins however i know javelins and amxs are a little heavier for some reason.

PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/16/2016 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by pfordamx pfordamx wrote:

the kicker to that one for me is how lite can you make that heavy freaking hatch without going fiberglass. 

Why on Earth would you even worry about what the hatch weight? If you want traction that is one place you don't want to take weigh off. Sure you can make it lite, but your actually loosing more than your gaining.  My 69 Rambler sedan weighs 500 lbs less than my Hornet. Also the Rambler has much better overhang over the rear tires. If you want a balanced car removing rear weight is the wrong place to worry about.  Here's an article on a Duster and what happened to the weight bias afterwards. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/weight-reduction/
I think after reading this you'll understand better. The lightest car isn't necessarily the best car.
Tom

Edited by PROSTOCKTOM - Aug/16/2016 at 5:55pm
junk yard dog View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote junk yard dog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2016 at 12:09am
I remember the wally booth difference between the gremlin and slicker hornet. But take a look at this. A 1971 pronto type clone. 68 amx back end with 73 front end.Set up as race car already and i would dare you to do that for what i want for car. roll bar. 488 solid axles etc.I bet you couldn't have your car painted for what i am asking. Front wheels radiator and battery not included. Other pictures in for sale section.  Just reduced to $6999.99 Dog.

69 sc rambler              
69 bbg javelin 390 mod pack    
68 javelin custom
68 amx 343 4 sale
76 hornet
1963 1/2 mercury super maraude
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2016 at 12:47am
70 Javelin would be a good choice, it has the updated front suspension so you don't have to deal with trunions and the bay is wider than the small cars so you have more room for headers.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2016 at 2:24am
I'm on the fence about that Jav. I really wanted to get in contact with the guy in Kennewick that was selling his gorgeous 73 base model. This experimental build screams volumes about what I'm into but reveals a possible one-off nightmare if I needto mix and match parts like I did for the Eagle. I'm probably going to pass for a Rambler. Ermm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic