TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The Best amc platform

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Best amc platform
    Posted: Aug/13/2016 at 2:50pm
OK for the simple purpose of easy to make go fast whats the best amc? looking for something pretty lite with enough wheel base that the front end doesn't want to stand straight up too easily, has decent room for headers and maybe decent to better than a brick arrow qualities i think the answer to this is going to be Hornet hatchback or american there longer wheelbase means they don't have the tendecy to wheel stand like a amx and are just a little naturally liter without alot of fiber glass. what are your thoughts what would you build i'm putting looks and preference aside for which one in stockish/body wise form is going to take less horsepower to push down the track. and easiest to fit a amc v8 with big tube headers in? 
steinercj5 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steinercj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2016 at 3:53pm
Thought you were putting that big motor in a '70 amx?
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2016 at 8:02pm
I have a thing for the Javelins myself. They are still light and with a longer wheelbase they would help with the wheelie effect (until you hit ridiculous power and then nothing much matters at that point).
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2016 at 9:14pm
From an availability, cost, and weight stand point it's hard to beat a 66-69 Rambler.

Tom

pfordamx View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pfordamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/13/2016 at 10:15pm
The 433 is going in my 70 amx but thats just a little street strip bracket build and i dont want to put anymore than a 6 point cage (so its on a perminent no faster than 10.00 et resteicion) in that car because of how valuable 70 amxs have become so it will be small tires and relatively stock suspension and chassis wise dont want to cut it. But i really want to build a 14.5 to 1 solid roller cammed 428 or 429 in something lite on e85 for dragweek. I have big dreams
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 10:08am
There is a nice looking hornet roller on here that would be a great starting point.
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 10:29am
I would think maybe the spirit?   but it does have the 96 inch wheelbase.......one inch shorter than the 68-70 AMX.........   but a spirit is also more aerodynamic then the older car.....   I like them, but I would not use a Gremlin simply because of aerodynamics....                           My race car is a spirit AMX. but I am not going for 10s either............ 
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 10:59am
Well, while aerodynamics are certainly important to consider I don't think you would notice significant differences between one car or another provided the cars are of the same era of design. That is of course unless you are talking about the few foil shaped bodies that were out in the same era like the Daytona and Superbird. However, every car that we are talking about here have about the same height profile (think flat surface facing forward 90 degrees perpendicular to the ground). You could take a Gremmy and chop the top thereby reducing the drag surface and probably outperform any other AMC car made. My whole point is really more about creating less resistance by reduction of profile. You could also cut lay back the A pillars to help aero properties. Getting the car lower to the ground will also help tremendously.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 1:07pm
I see your 66-69 Rambler and raise you a 70 Rambler. LOL

Seriously though, this thing is legit straight up money. A 360 + 3spd auto and AM20-3.31 and it will legit cruise around 35MPH with no effort. I went out for a test drive of this thing the other day and it's just the best. It's also a reminder of how much time I'm wasting every day with a daily driven Ford. The Rambler has a lot going for it but that stock Holley 4 barrel randomly floods and just causes problems. I need to figure out a way to fix this or get around it. Part of me legit wants to tear through this, pop in forged pistons, rolling rockers, a radical cam and a procharger. It is that much fun.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/14/2016 at 1:27pm
I was messing with my 71 as for low profile... it will easily be lower than our 2000 Solara, and 09 Accord coupe. I dont think any other AMC outside of an AMX3 will be any more aerodynamic.

Back in the day with my 73 Javelin... there was plenty of open no-man's land areas on 101. I would top out my engine at 140MPH with a MOPAR 2.76 rear. It was stable with only the addition of a factory AMX hood, which helps with the aero thing.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic