TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

The AMC T5

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The AMC T5
    Posted: Jul/28/2007 at 11:54am
Well, I'll start this now even though it'll likely fall to the bottom of the page before I get back to it.
   The lowly AMC T5.
2wd 1982-83 only.
Non World class.
265 ftlb torque rating
4-1 first gear .8 OD ratio
Uses a Chrylser output setup! same Yoke.
Same speedo setup as the 904!
Shifter is farther forward than the Mustang T5.
It uses that same small pattern shifter as the 82-? early S-10 and 82-92 Camaro.
Trans mount is also in a different local.
I'm working from memory here so I may need to correct this stuff some later.
   Now, what I'm doing with mine is marrying the AMC tailshaft housing to a 2:95 ist gear close ratio 330 ft lb World class Ford box. I'm doing this to maintain shifter placement, trans mount, driveshaft, since it is in place now and I don't want to redo it all.
    This is not as easy as it would seem. The AMC trans is an early non world class box and the speedo drive gear is in the wrong spot. To compound matters the Ford output splines are larger than the AMC drive gears inside diameter. So, for today I pulled the speedo gear out of my spare AMC T4 trans. Then took the tailshaft off my Ford Trans. I spend 1.5 hours with 80 grit sand paper wrapped around the AMC output shaft enlarging the inside of the speedo gear. I did not want to take a chance on trashing it so I took my time. By using the small area of the AMC shaft I was able to rotate and sand the inside of the gear till it finally would just barely slide over the Ford trans output shafts splines. Next step, was to locate the gear on the Ford shaft. It needed to move about an inch forward from the placement  of the Ford gear. This puts it in  a spot that is turned way smaller than the now even larger inside diameter of the AMC gear! What I managed to find was a piece of .07" aluminum stock to wrap around the shaft and the gear is now sitting nicely were it belongs for the AMC taihousing!
   Still to be done.
Find a wider piece of the stock.
Bore a small hole in the output shaft for the Ford clip.
Mount it and check it for runout.
  Right now it looks good and since I run an electric speedo, I think any vibration will not cause any problems.
   Before I can get any farther I have to tear the trans down and do a full rebuilt as it was an Ebay purchase that needs an input and cluster. I've bought all the hard parts, still need bearings and syncros.
   What happened to it is the PO installed a 23 tooth input in it for use in his 94 Mustang. He drove it 9 miles and shredded the input and cluster. Well, the reason this happened is that the 2:95 trans uses a 24 tooth input! How he got it together I'll never know! Anyway, I got the leftovers including the good input for less than $300 shipping included. It was reported to be and appears to be a 2,000 mile D&D performance 330ftlb trans. Nice and clean. I would not even replace all the syncros in it, but the guy put gear lube in it when he bought it off his buddy and switched the input over! Not good on a World class as the syncros are reported to delaminate from the additives in gear lube.
     I hope to update this as I go. It may be a while as vacation is near and work is pushing an 80 hour week this week Confused I want to get in and take some pics of the pieces while they are side by side too. It will take time...
    I hope to build it as complete except for the actual AMC tailhousing as that one is in my car still! I'll be bale to use the shifter rod and top plate, plus speedo egar from the T4. Then I'll pull the T5 for the last piece, the tailhousing. I'll also need to redo my pilot bushing and clutch disc while I'm in there.
    Then finally I won't cringe everytime I bang a gear waiting for it to break Smile
    Still need to do the rear axle before I break itOuch
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic