TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TF 727 question

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TF 727 question
    Posted: Jun/07/2018 at 9:13pm
Alright guys, I’ve got a 73 Javelin. Currently running a fairly built up T5 BUT I’m building a stroked 401 with a supercharger. I’m concerned that the T5 wont hold up. (I’m sure it wont if I can get it to hook up). So I found a sweet deal on a 727. Can I just get an auto brake pedal for my car or do I need a new rod going to the MC too? Power brakes. I’m planning on building this trans over the winter. Is there anything anyone can recommend to make it bulletproof proof? The new motor should be around 800 HP.
73 AMX Javelin PC
PROSTOCKTOM View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROSTOCKTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 1:10am
If your going to be running 800Hp I would skip the 727 for a Turbo 400. It's easy to get a bullet proof transmission with just a few parts and doesn't require the throttle pressure rod and kickdown is electric. Or just upgrade the manual and enjoy overdrive for cruising.

Tom
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 1:23am
You can just take the clutch pedal off and run with the manual brake pedal unless you think you will need both feet to stop it.
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 1:39pm
I pulled a set of auto pedals out of the White70 and hung the clutch pedal/brake pedal assembly using the master cylinder pushrod from the auto pedal. It should work retro as well.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
kingsX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 5:17pm
What’s it take to hook a turbo 400 up to an AMC motor?
73 AMX Javelin PC
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 5:45pm
A Jeep cased TH400 trans converted to 2WD on the output side, a press in ring in the crank for the converter snout and probably a TH400 flex plate, but at your level would may want a decent aftermarket flex plate anyway.

Of course if you put a manual valve body in the 727, you don't have to run a pesky kickdown linkage.

At 800 HP you will be looking for a pretty well built transmission.

Other options might be Powerglide, T56 Magnum, TKO.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2018 at 8:48pm
And you may want to grind open the speedo location so you can put in a speedo. The Jeep ran the speedo from the transfer case so the speedo location in the TH400 case was not drilled. Easy job to do.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
Mopar_guy View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mopar_guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2018 at 11:33am
It'll be cheaper to keep the 727 if it's an AMC version. They're pretty hard to beat already but the throttle valve cable could be tricky with a blower but it's been done before. A reverse manual valve body to eliminate that cable though.

"Hemilina" My 1973, 5.7 Hemi swapped Javelin
mixed up View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mixed up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 6:27am
the 727 is a very good trans for high hp if built to handle it remember they put this behind 440 hemis and the Cummings so they can handle torq and the parts are cross over from Chrysler cheap and easy to get a good book you can buy to give you a idea of what it take is Torqueflite a727 transmission handbook by carl h munroe its good reading thing that come to mind for a bullet proof trans are the planetary the clutch packs front pump tha torq covertor is the prices part you need to buy   good luck on the project

don     
69 amx 290 auto
65 220 290 4spd
80 ford fairmont
kingsX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/10/2018 at 7:12am
Thanks for all the advice guys!! I appreciate it.
73 AMX Javelin PC
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic