TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Drag Racing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Test and tune on the Hornet

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Test and tune on the Hornet
    Posted: Apr/05/2015 at 6:24pm
Took the Hornet out to the swap meet/test and tune session yesterday at Firebird Raceway near Boise.   Tried a larger carb (670 avenger) this season and it was a bit faster last weekend, so I added some jet and tried it again yesterday.   Ran the best it ever has.   Went 13.49 @ 100.6, which got me my 100 MPH stickers.  Ran three runs over 100MPH, and then a 99.93 as we were losing the air a bit around 3 in the afternoon.  Barometer started dropping hard about 2.   Got a total of 5 runs in, 13.49-13.53 was pretty much the day with one 13.58 first run mostly due to it being the first morning run with a slippery launch. 

The car is really running well for the extremely mild combo.   8.3 compression stock pistons and rings, new bearings and seals, rebuilt the heads using the stock valves.   Went with the stock 30 degree intake angle, but I did do bowl work to make the valve job work.   .448/.475 lift, 204/214 @ .050.   Basically the Edelbrock Performer specs.   Springs to match.   Performer intake manifold.   Used a 600 Quick Fuel carb last year when it went 13.68 @ 98.66, running a 670 Avenger this year.  

Rear gear is a 3.54 with a powertrax locker and Moser axles.   Rear end was built for my solid lifter 401, but it's what I had.  Trans is a 904 that was rebuilt for higher HP.   It was the stock trans behind the stock 304 that was original to the car.   Converter is a "factory high stall" 22-2400 RPM stall.   Drives around like a stocker.

That's pretty much it.   DA was from 2500-3100 yesterday.   It ran best at 2900 ft. DA.  

Anyway, I got my stickers!  
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2015 at 3:52pm
NICE JOB!!!!!! You are gonna get me worried real soon. I can see you sneaking up on me! Going to have to tune her up and I'll post this years E.T. as soon as I get both of those Hornets out of storage.
Traveller View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Traveller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/07/2015 at 9:40pm
Thanks!   The car is in full stealth mode at the track, which is entertaining.   It's quiet, and it idles smoothly with the new carb, so it looks and sounds like a high 14's car at best.   I've had the tech guys ask me if I really needed a helmet when I pulled it out for inspection.    That just happened again last weekend.   Fun stuff!

Couple more things to do to get it ready for club racing on the 24th, but it's pretty much the way it's going to be run this season.   Need tires and a better radiator.   Tires will be ordered next week probably.   Going to change the oil again before we start racing also.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic