TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Team Highball Barn Find

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Team Highball Barn Find
    Posted: May/17/2019 at 8:07am
This car was on Facebook and after some research I confirmed it was THB303 or the third Team Highball Spirit built.  It was in a barn/garage basically stored since it last raced in 1984. Still has the original complete drivetrain it.  This car was bought for and mostly driven by Patty Moise who went on to race in NASCAR.

History as I know it....

In mid 1980 Milt Moise bought THB303 from Amos Johnson and requested Amos paint it blue to match #59. This car was numbered #56 and was bought for Patty Moise to run so Milt wouldn't have to share the #59 car. This would also allow them to race together.

In 1983/84...somewhere late in its Moise ownership....#56 was painted orange/white.  We know for sure the 1984 1st Daytona race with Tommy Riggens it was in this scheme. That was also its last race.

Amos confirmed he painted THB303 blue after Milt bought it.  Milt confirms both cars were blue as far as he remembers and has no memory of an orange/white Spirit.

#59 was the first car Patty drove in IMSA RS and the only AMC she ran in IMSA AC.  When #56 (THB303) was purchased from Team Highball she drove that exclusively.  Milt is also listed as the driver for #56 as well in some races.Engines were bought from both THB and Bo Montgomery.
  • THB never ran THB303......the car was built and sold straight to Milt.
  • There is no further evidence the car was raced after the 1984 Daytona race and the car maintains that livery.
  • There is no evidence anyone other than Moise's raced the car other than the co-driver's
Race History  (Will capture results when I get time)

Road Atlanta 56-Patty
Daytona Finale 56-Patty

Daytona 56-Patty 
Sebring 56-Patty
Road Atlanta 56-Patty
Daytona 6 Hour 56-Patty with Don Courtney
Road Atlanta 56-Patty
Daytona Finale 56-Patty

Daytona 56-Patty (B&W 56 Picture)
Sebring 56-Patty
Road Atlanta 56-Patty with Milt
Lime Rock 56 Milt
Charlotte 56 Milt
Daytona Finale 56-Milt (Color Blue 56 Picture)

Daytona 56-Milt
Sebring 56-Milt
Road Atlanta 56-Patty with Milt

Daytona 56-Patty with Tommy Riggens (Color Orange/White 56 Picture)
Javelin_GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 8:08am
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 8:10am
g-man View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote g-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 10:53am
Sweet score!!

What are your plans?
Restore? Rebuild? Show, or race?
Or maybe just clean it up, and then take it to the track?
Please keep the pictures coming.
Best of luck,

g-man
AMC only daily driver
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Javelin_GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 12:31pm
g-man.......its like a time capsule so once I get it I really want to go through it.  I also have THB302 which was a factory race car.  So having a period correct car to help restore THB302 will be fantastic.

Here is THB302 back in the day.....

PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 1:05pm
Wow!
83GT View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 83GT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 4:19pm
Very Cool!

...and unless I am mistaken, doesn't that engine have the "mystery I6 intake" from the other thread?  Well, maybe not, but those runners sure look long enough....

Edited by 83GT - May/17/2019 at 4:21pm
2014 Star Stryker - Only Ride
1992 Bayliner Trophy Walk-Around
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 4:50pm
Here i am eye balling some interesting spindle drop or suspension angle adjustments... notice the spacers under the shock mounts. Subtle as placing longer studs in the suspension humps, and using nuts as spacers?
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
70BBOAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70BBOAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/17/2019 at 5:20pm
Looks like a lot of fun! Cant wait to see more.
Jmerican View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jmerican Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/18/2019 at 1:27am
that car is funky. Yes, was thinking of that 4 barrel manifold too. 

Can’t wait to see more. So cool that it went to a good owner who has the sister ship. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic