TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

tachometer not working

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: tachometer not working
    Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 5:35pm
I am totally confused about the wiring for the tach of my 70 AMX.  I have never seen a current sensing tach, so I am in new territory here. I swapped out the dead alternator/voltage regulator for a GM 3 wire. The way the ignition coil is wired now is the ignition resistive yellow lead and the tach yellow lead go to the + side of the coil along with the + voltage for the Mallory distributor. The tach blue wire goes to the switched side starter relay. The tach does nothing. The schematic shows a pink wire from the old voltage regulator which I think is switched +12v connected to the starter relay on the same terminal as that blue wire. That got eliminated when I swapped the alternator, do I need that for the tach to work? As an experiment we did start the car and touched the disconnected blue wire to +12v and the tach works. But of course when I turned the ignition off the engine continued to run! It seems to me if I just hook that blue wire from the tach straight to an ignition switched +12v all would be good. Or am I crazy?
Corvette powered '77 280Z
'70 AMX 390 Golden Lime Metallic
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 7:06pm
The power from your resistance wire should go to the rear stud on the starter selenoid. The blue fron the tach harness goes there also. The yellow from the tach harness goes to the plus on the coil. The original jumper from the rear stud to coil plus is not connected.

This way, juice from the switch goes thru the resistance wire, back through the tach, and to the coil. When you engage the starter, the selenoid sends full 12v thru the tack to the coil.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
ga70amx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by whizkidder whizkidder wrote:

The power from your resistance wire should go to the rear stud on the starter selenoid. The blue fron the tach harness goes there also. The yellow from the tach harness goes to the plus on the coil. The original jumper from the rear stud to coil plus is not connected.

This way, juice from the switch goes thru the resistance wire, back through the tach, and to the coil. When you engage the starter, the selenoid sends full 12v thru the tack to the coil.

Hmmmm, maybe that explains why the resistive wire gets super hot if I turn the ignition key to accessory and do not start the car. So all I need to do is move the resistive wire to the starter relay terminal with the blue wire. I will give this a try in the morning. Thanks.

'67 Chevy C10 stepside
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 8:40pm
Here's the TSM wiring with my note that might help.

-Steve-

ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 8:52pm
One thing. I believe the pink wire is supposed to be disconnected if you have the tach. That wire is the resistance wire from the wiring harness. In a car with the tach wired into the circuit you leave that disconnected because the tach itself provides the resistance function.  

I hope that helps,

Chris 
ga70amx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by Rebel Machine Rebel Machine wrote:

Here's the TSM wiring with my note that might help.

-Steve-

Thanks. That all makes sense now. No clue why the PO had it wired so weird.
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
ga70amx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

One thing. I believe the pink wire is supposed to be disconnected if you have the tach. That wire is the resistance wire from the wiring harness. In a car with the tach wired into the circuit you leave that disconnected because the tach itself provides the resistance function.  

I hope that helps,

Chris 

There was no pink wire hooked into my solenoid circuit when I changed alternators. The only pink wire in the engine compartment came off the voltage regulator and went straight to the alternator.
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
ccowx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ccowx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2013 at 10:53pm
Ever want to meet the PO? I did and I had to laugh, the reason he gave why the car did not have more damage was that he could not afford it!
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 6:48am
Originally posted by ga70amx ga70amx wrote:

Originally posted by ccowx ccowx wrote:

I hope that helps,

Chris 

There was no pink wire hooked into my solenoid circuit when I changed alternators. The only pink wire in the engine compartment came off the voltage regulator and went straight to the alternator.

That "pink" was actually orange - faded most likely.
You don't see the resistance wire in most cases, it's up the line. What confuses things quite often is the fact that the yellow ignition is also tied to the regulator, so there's multiple yellow, and splices are up the line and it gets confusing.
The scan from the TSM actually "says it all" - to me, anyway.
Ignore text, look at the picture. That's all one needs to do. At least for me, the first time all those years ago when I SAW an example, it made perfect sense. The explanation from someone trying to "tell me" how it was wired didn't work out in my head. One look at a car, or the TSM and I had it down.

You'll have that L-shaped push-on connector hanging.
You will move the yellow wire that originally went to the coil + terminal and take it off the coil and put it on the I terminal on the starter relay.
No, you are not taking the resistance wire out of the picture, but instead of it supplying the coil directly, it now supplies the TACH, then through the tach, back out and to the coil.
The yellow you moved FROM the coil +  TO the starter relay I is what the "pink" or resistance wire FEEDS. So instead of feeding the coil, it's "feeding" the tach, THEN to the coil.
The resistance wire is still there in use.
That L shaped connector you have hanging now? That is from the ignition switch - switch through resistance to relay I, ties to yellow wire going to coil +. When you turn on the key, it feeds the coil through the resistance wire - and is actually ALSO connected to the I.
See where it says "leave this disconnected" or something like that? THAT is where the PINK resistance and YELLOW that feeds the coil are connected. They are STILL connected - inside the L connection you leave hanging.
Pink to the connector, then to the yellow, then to the coil +

In other words, if you follow that TSM scan -
all you have done is pull the yellow off the coil and instead connect it to the input of the tach using the relay I terminal as a simple junction block. Then the output of the tach goes to the coil.
Nothing else has changed.
The pink still feeds the yellow which fed the coil (because pink and yellow STILL join inside that connector you left hanging), but now the yellow feeds the tach,  THEN the coil through the tach.
You simply have put the tach in SERIES with the rest of the system - just ahead of the coil.

Edited by billd - Jan/10/2013 at 7:00am
ga70amx View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ga70amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/10/2013 at 11:26am
I pulled the resistive wire off the coil, moved it over to the rear solenoid terminal with the blue wire and the tach works! It all makes sense now. Awesome, thanks guys, this has been bugging me for months.
'67 Chevy C10 stepside
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic