TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Electrical - non engine
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Tachometer for Clock Delete

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tachometer for Clock Delete
    Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 9:44pm
In 69 there was the option of putting a tachometer in the clock delete. I have read that people have done this but the 3-3/8" Sun tach I have is too large and the Equus 2-1/8" is small.
Someone posted installing a tachometer using two small angle brackets and a hose clamp in the original mounting holes. 
What makes and model numbers of tachometers best fit this space without modifying the dash?
Any help would be appreciated as trial and error finding a good fit is not going well.
69BBB3904spAMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 69BBB3904spAMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2017 at 10:51pm
Smile If you have a 69 Javelin, why not put a stock 68 AMX tach in the clock delete opening?
37 Ford Tudor 60 hp V8 flathead, all original, never restored
69BBB3904spAMX
70 Camaro 1st car
74 Hornet Hatch 6 cyl floor/auto
2007,2008,2009 PT Cruisers
Aluminum Deck Car Trailer
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 5:09am
The small 68 Tach was offered as an accessory, in the Group 15 Book  Interestingly at one time I had a 68 style small tach with a "6 CYL" label on the face, it was brand new, never factory installed and only sold as an accessory, it was in a AM script box with 899 xxxx P/N.  I kept the box, but I have no idea where it is anymore.  I sold it probably 30 years ago to a guy with a Base Model 70 Javelin in original Big Bad Green Paint, if I remember right he lived in West Virginia, he would always show up at Fall Hershey.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 6:14am
My girlfriend/wife had a 68 six with the tach in the clock delete.
They existed but I cannot find one.
The question is, does anyone know a supplier or tach for a V8 that fits the clock delete? 
bigbad69 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bigbad69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 8:17am
Why not post in the Wanted section? Those tach's are not all that uncommon. They were standard in 68 AMX and optional in 68-70 Javelins.
69 Javelin SST BBO 390 T10
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 9:11am
Why don't you just put a 69 cluster in with tach and put a clock or oil/amp gauge in the clock space. That is what I did in a 69 Jav.
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 10:19am
I bought a 69 rally cluster and the tach didn't work and cannot be repaired. I bought a 68 AMX tach for the clock delete and it is the same condition, wasted $600. $400 or more to ship to the US for gut replacement for either - so a newer aftermarket with warranty looks much more attractive. 
rodhhrod View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodhhrod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 10:36am
Sorry to hear that, I have a restored working cluster assem. I would have sold you. But I am sure you don't want to go through that again. Also, I thought premium dash decals up there in Canada repairs the tachs? I have bought a couple of circuit boards from them.
Rod
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/29/2017 at 12:14pm
For others, I purchased a 333-151 VDO tachometer and it fits the hole. The 333-051 would also work. The gauge face is 2-3/4" just like the dash, and the body fit the hole with just removing a small amount of plastic flashing. Mounted the tachometer to a piece of sheet metal the same outside dimensions as the clock delete using the same mounting holes. Wired to the MSD 6A tach output. Cost $133 Canadian.
Red20 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red20 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/01/2017 at 9:43pm
I originally bought this modern Sun Super Tach reproduction and mounted it on the column to look at it while I was building my 1969 Javelin.

Then I started pulling apart the dash and realized it was pretty much identical in size to the clock.

It is a little deeper, but the inside diameter of the outer rim is the same for the gauge tunnel in the overlay.

This is it just sitting in the hole. Unfortunately I don't have a picture of it mounted with the gauge cluster overlay off. I used two small L-brackets zip tied tightly to the body. A band clamp would work, but for now the zip tie is just fine.

I assure you it's centered and fits quite well. The picture perspective and shadows make it appear off center.

I'll try to find the part number for that one if you're interested and take more pictures of the installation and how I ran the ground wire, etc.

1969 Javelin SST "Screamin' Banana" - Totaled Feb 2018
1973 Hornet Sportabout X "yellajack" - 360/727/TracLoc DAILY DRIVER
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic