TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TA Javelin 5 ltr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 12:08am
I took the TA Javelin to a open track day a couple woks ago and discovered a few necessary things:  I needed to upsize the fuel line.  Ran new -8 AN line from the fuel cell/pump to the regulator in the engine bay, then two -6 AN lines, one to each bowl on the Holley carb.  The other thing was to install a MSD ignition box.  The coil alone could not keep up at 8,000 RPM.  And the other thing was to put lower gears in the rearend.  The 3.54s are WAY too high.  I had to run the entire 2.5 mile track in 2nd gear and never ran out of RPMs.  I had to downshift to 1st in some corners just to keep the engine in it's power range.  It makes max HP between 7,200 and 8,000.  I'm installing 4.56s now.  The destroked high RPM engine requires a different set of problems.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 4:22am
Originally posted by Coloradoamx Coloradoamx wrote:

The other thing was to install a MSD ignition box.  The coil alone could not keep up at 8,000 RPM.  And the other thing was to put lower gears in the rearend.  The 3.54s are WAY too high.  I had to run the entire 2.5 mile track in 2nd gear and never ran out of RPMs.  I had to downshift to 1st in some corners just to keep the engine in it's power range.  It makes max HP between 7,200 and 8,000.  I'm installing 4.56s now. .

thats an awesome problem to have!

You just have to gear it like a 4 cylinder,

like a crazy, overpowered high winding 4 cylinder that sounds amazing and pushes your eyeballs into the back of your head!

Your next problem might be spacing between gears not being close enough.

Good luck.

Nice build!
71 Javelin AMX P-code Go pac 360/4spd/3.91's
was Green/green now T/A red w/blk leather

88,89&98 Jeeps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic