TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TA Javelin 5 ltr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2018 at 6:10pm
The diagram in the link is a closed system.  It does not vent to the atmosphere, it vents to the engine.  This way you get the most vacuum in the engine.  The more crankcase vacuum and control of windage, the better rings will seal.  So a dry sump system controls the oil and makes more power.  

klvn8r View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klvn8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2020 at 9:12pm
PROSTOCK TOM SAID 
"I am really surprised that the oil pickups are on the passenger side rather than on the drivers side. Typically a dry sup pan will always have the pickups on the drivers side. Looks nice, but you might have left some power on the table with it on the other side."

Tom,

My dry sump pickups are on the left side of the pan.....could you explain this please?  I've never heard this...  Thanks!

klvn8r

Edited by klvn8r - Jan/22/2020 at 9:16pm
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2020 at 7:05am
Dry sumps usually use an external belt driven oil pump. You can mount the pump on either side, but I suspect the left side is most common. I've never run a dry sump, and have only seen a few...
Frank Swygert
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2020 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Coloradoamx Coloradoamx wrote:

The diagram in the link is a closed system.  It does not vent to the atmosphere, it vents to the engine.  This way you get the most vacuum in the engine.  The more crankcase vacuum and control of windage, the better rings will seal.  So a dry sump system controls the oil and makes more power.  

Wayne,

The Aviaid drawing states "Vent tank to breather or to breather can".  Does your 5 liter engine not have any breathers?? 

Please clarify

Thanks,

Armand

Edited by White70JavelinSST - Jan/23/2020 at 10:37am
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Brad View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2020 at 12:42pm
Great work as always Wayne!  What/who's valve covers did you use? 

Edited by Brad - Jan/23/2020 at 12:44pm
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2020 at 5:04pm
I have a set of the vintage A&R cast aluminum valve covers.  They are tall enough to clear the valve train.  I also installed a Moroso breather to vent the engine into the dry sump system.  The Moroso breather also can serve as a place to add oil to the engine/dry sump system.  The filler at the top of the dry sump tank is a little hard to access given that it's behind the wheel inside the fender.  As you can see in the photo, the breather vents into the blue "can" that I had fabricated, the "can" in turn ties into the vent on the dry sump tank.
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2020 at 8:05am
Thanks Wayne,

For a minute there I was thinking you or someone had devised a system I hadn't heard about where the engine is not vented. Thanks for the clarification.

That car is just freakin awesome.
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2020 at 8:50am
The system is not vented to the atmosphere like a regular engine.  The valve cover breather doesn't "breathe" it is tied into the tank which is also sealed, so in fact the system is sealed and not vented.  Take a look at the diagram in the link below:

The reason for not venting to the atmosphere is to create the most vacuum via the dry sump scavenge.

Edited by Coloradoamx - Jan/24/2020 at 10:39am
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2020 at 10:43am
Thanks Wayne.

Hurst390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hurst390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2020 at 5:58pm
Great car you've done an excellent job!
SC/Hurst Rambler

11.62 120

100% Street Legal
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic