TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TA Javelin 5 ltr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/19/2018 at 11:08pm
I took the TA Javelin to a open track day a couple woks ago and discovered a few necessary things:  I needed to upsize the fuel line.  Ran new -8 AN line from the fuel cell/pump to the regulator in the engine bay, then two -6 AN lines, one to each bowl on the Holley carb.  The other thing was to install a MSD ignition box.  The coil alone could not keep up at 8,000 RPM.  And the other thing was to put lower gears in the rearend.  The 3.54s are WAY too high.  I had to run the entire 2.5 mile track in 2nd gear and never ran out of RPMs.  I had to downshift to 1st in some corners just to keep the engine in it's power range.  It makes max HP between 7,200 and 8,000.  I'm installing 4.56s now.  The destroked high RPM engine requires a different set of problems.
jpnjim View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpnjim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/20/2018 at 3:22am
Originally posted by Coloradoamx Coloradoamx wrote:

The other thing was to install a MSD ignition box.  The coil alone could not keep up at 8,000 RPM.  And the other thing was to put lower gears in the rearend.  The 3.54s are WAY too high.  I had to run the entire 2.5 mile track in 2nd gear and never ran out of RPMs.  I had to downshift to 1st in some corners just to keep the engine in it's power range.  It makes max HP between 7,200 and 8,000.  I'm installing 4.56s now. .

thats an awesome problem to have!

You just have to gear it like a 4 cylinder,

like a crazy, overpowered high winding 4 cylinder that sounds amazing and pushes your eyeballs into the back of your head!

Your next problem might be spacing between gears not being close enough.

Good luck.

Nice build!
71 P-code 4spd Javelin/AMX
some Jeeps and some Fords
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2018 at 9:48pm
Well, I finally took the leap and moved the dry sump tank to its proper place.  I had previously had it mounted inside the car.  However, the SCCA rules required the tank to be "forward of the firewall."  After some cutting and fabrication I was able to mount the new tank exactly in the same place as the Penske built car.  One line at the bottom of the tank feeds the pump, the other line comes from the scavenge side of the pump, and the other line is a breather which goes to the valve cover.  It is a completely "closed" system.  My next step is to fabricate a type of cover that will keep the tank for getting all buggered up from stuff the tire picks up.
73jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 8:07am
I think i'd rather have this car than the real one. Coolest AMC ever! 
PHAT69AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PHAT69AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 2:27pm
Top notch.  Saw your posts over on CRG in the Traco Fans thread... a lot of really good historical information, pictures, articles, etc over there !
amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 6:35pm
Coloradoamx what is the rated quart capacity of that tank?    
(I'm building a dry sump system now.  Purchased an 8 qt tank)
Thank You.  Jerry
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 7:06pm
The tank is 8 quart.  There was no way I could have gotten a larger tank in that location without getting more aggressive cutting up the body.  From the looks of the Penske Javelin, it probably had a larger tank, but they did a LOT of fabrication to that car when it was built, including more structural stuff with the cage and DOM.  A dry sump tank is only filled 2/3 full, but I have an additional quart in the really large filter, and probably another 2 quarts or so in the cooler and lines.  

This is the size of the filter I'm using.  Comparison is to a regular size filter, although I don't use Fram, I use Wix.

Edited by Coloradoamx - Nov/14/2018 at 10:30pm
amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 9:13pm
That being the same size as mine makes me feel better. Have You been able to test run it?
Jerry
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2018 at 10:17pm
I have not test run the system with the new tank yet.  I consulted with Aviaid who made my pump and pan, and they said the tank was fine.  I also talked to Peterson, who made my tank and they also said the same thing.  Certainly having more oil is better since it allows the oil to cool a bit in a larger tank, but I have a really big cooler.  The biggest reason for a larger tank in an endurance race is that a larger tank allows for more oil as the engine consumes oil over the duration of a race without having to stop and add oil.  Since my car will probably never see a 2-3 hour race, I'm safe.  Jerry, I don't know what your application is...road race or drag race, but I've learned a drag race tank is designed a little different to allow for the forces in intense acceleration and still de-areate the oil.  Apparently the baffeling is a little different.
amx600rr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amx600rr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/17/2018 at 5:44pm
Yes mine is a drag race tank from Peterson too. I am hoping the pump will recover the oil fast enough with 3 pickups in the pan and 1 in the valley.    It should only run for a few minutes at a time.

Would you educate me on the plumbing of your Closed system.   Mine is an open system that vents the oil tank pressurized air that was scavenged from the block to the vent tank and out to the atmosphere. If your system is closed, then how does it vent the excess air out of the system that was scavenged from inside the block?
Thanks.    Jerry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic