TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

TA Javelin 5 ltr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TA Javelin 5 ltr
    Posted: Mar/05/2018 at 9:04pm
I have been collecting the right parts for 5+ years to be able to build a period correct de-stroked 360 for my Trans Am Javelin replica.  I finally got the engine back from Barry Allens shop.  It's a 304 cid (based on a 360 bore service block), destroked crankshaft, and dry sump oiling system.  After getting all the dry sump plumbing done, I have been able to get the engine installed and fired up.  Sounds just like the real deal Trans Am Javelin.  Here are a few pictures...

Also, here is a short video of first start up:
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 9:04am
Truly awesome.

I've been following you on FB as well Wayne. This is one very cool car.

70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 10:09am
Outstanding!
I think all the AMC Road Race fans out here wanted to do this at some point. Unfortunately there are so many hurtles out there in tackling a project like this.
Perfect engine for your car!

Dyno session in the future?
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 11:13am

This car reflects more of my boyhood dreams than Miss October, 1971.  It's just fantastic!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 11:21am
Wow, I have no words..... Wait, yes I do. Awesome, jealous, wishing it were mine, drooling, envious, stoked, excited.

Truly a beautiful thing you have there. Thanks for sharing with us.
73jav View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73jav Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 11:46am
What kind of power does it make? Comparable to the 401? Are you going to do some vintage races in it? It is so nice i would be afraid to wreck it. 
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 12:19pm
I think we ought to start a betting board, guessing what horseppower it makes.

My guess is +/- 600, nearly 2 hp per cubic inch.

It sounds very crisp !

What fuel Cam2 or VP ?
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
Coloradoamx View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Coloradoamx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 1:16pm
White70 JavelinSST you are VERY close...  the Dyno was 587 HP @ 7500 rpm.  I'm using Sunoco 110 leaded in it.  Perhaps VP when I use up the Sunoco I have in the fuel cell.  I can tell you I will not be racing it for two reasons...1) I'm not that capable. 2) the car is way too pretty to screw up.  It does have some track days in front of it though.  I have a few things yet to get sorted out before a track day.  This is like a childhood dream for me too!  The suspension, brakes and now the engine are as close to the real car as one can get without actually being the real car.  By the way, the 401 was only 400 HP, so this is going to be a handle to drive.

Wayne
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by shootist shootist wrote:

Wow, I have no words..... Wait, yes I do. Awesome, jealous, wishing it were mine, drooling, envious, stoked, excited.

Truly a beautiful thing you have there. Thanks for sharing with us.

I couldn't have said it any better than that!!

It turned out really nice Wayne!!

Dennis   
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2018 at 3:22pm
Peak power at 7,500 RPM. Love that.
So much impressive work gone into achieving that number for a road race application; cylinder head flow, block/crank durability, the oiling system, and more. It's truly pays respect to the original design of that engine and it's capabilities.

What's the idle set at, 1800 RPM? LOL.

Edited by 343sharpstick - Mar/06/2018 at 3:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic