TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T96J with torque tube.. What are my options?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2017 at 8:43pm
This is the synchro hub note the severe galling. the coned part of the input shaft caused this damage.

This is the end of the input shaft that was contacting the synchro hub note the hairline cracks all over it.

Maybe these surfaces are supposed to contact eachother and someone ran it with no oil?

Ps:sorry about the blurriness. I snapped these with my phone.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2017 at 9:48pm
Are you sure that synchro hub was attached onto the rear shaft with a snap ring? That's what happened to mine is that that thing came off the rear shaft but I stopped driving right away. That thing should never come that far forward to contact the front shaft. Look at the front of your rear shaft to see if all the teeth are still on it. I think if I were to put one together again I'd try high strength Loc-tite to hold it on followed by the snap ring.

My memory on this is from more than 35 years ago so correct me if I got something wrong.

Edited by vinny - Oct/26/2017 at 9:53pm
amcenthusiast View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcenthusiast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2017 at 11:40pm
PM tomj I bet he can help... seems like a missing part or broken snap ring judging by T96 exploded view images on Yahoo

The pilot bushing is ok? 
443 XRV8 Gremlin YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?reload=9&v=2DmFOKRuzUc
XRV8 Race Parts website: http://amcramblermarlin.1colony.com/
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2017 at 8:19am
http://www.studebaker-info.org/Tech/Transmission/T96/T96OD.jpg

On mine (not Studebaker) 6-80-5 snap ring broke off a tooth of the tail shaft allowing 6-80-1 to come forward. 6-80-1 is the piece you show above that has been chewed up. Check the front end of your tail shaft just in front of the snap ring to see if a tooth has broken off.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2017 at 8:37am
Is that synchro hub symmetrical front to back or is there the possibility it was installed reversed?

There is also the possibility that the damage you show was caused by a previous failure and someone put it back together with minimum replacement parts.
First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2017 at 12:32pm
Vinny The snap rings were all in place. I know because I remember struggling to remove them lol. The end of the main shafts splines are however a little worn and there was a shoulder worn into the end where the needle bearings must have been pushing on it. I plan to use a hardened thrust washer that is the thickness of the worn down material to fix that. It would be impossible to install  P0 6.080-1 backwards. I thought of that possibility too. Its also lightly galled on the other side where it contacts second gear. I'm starting to think maybe it was just out of oil 
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2017 at 11:28pm
i've rebuilt three of these things but can't recall the tiny details necessary to definitely answer anything here.

i do however recall that the snap ring on the big bearing on the input (clutch) shaft, and snap ring(s) on the output shaft, prevent the two shafts from butting and grinding. if they did grind together, than it was assembled wrong, or wrong parts.

can you "dry" assemble it? just the input and output shafts and maybe the rollers between? no synchros etc. those two shafts must not/should not touch each other except via the rollers.

were the rollers in good shape?

when i ruined my T96 i'd rebuilt (due to the input shaft bearing snapring not being seated right) those rollers were blue from force applied to the end.

i think i still have the ruined parts, should you need pics, in my Shelf of Shame (blown up parts, etc).

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2017 at 11:29pm
you might post detailed, close up pics of all the offending parts. wear patterns may reveal the secrets.
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

First_Gear View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote First_Gear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2017 at 1:24am
I will get some better pictures on tuesday when I have a chance to work on it. I seem to remember I could pull the output shaft forward (I kept doing it by mistake) so maybe there was a snap ring missing in the OD unit. The OD unit has been butchered by a previous rebuilder. Bent up the bearing cage tool marks everywhere..

I see a T86 with R10 OD unit on CL for not too much.. Do most of these parts swap? I mostly want a new bearing cage and sungear.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2017 at 7:06am
T86 is a much bigger trans, so no parts interchange there. The OD units, however, are pretty much identical except for output shaft on the trans. In other words, OD units should swap entirely or just OD parts. Output shaft might be different depending on application though. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic