TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

t-96 swap ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2014 at 10:21am
I did look up the Volvo... pretty conventional straight six. The belt drive you refer to must be in the transmission/final drive. The Ford concept I saw basically had a big gear between the banks of four cylinders that directly drove a FWD transaxle bolted to the "back" of the engine... trans may have been integral with the crankcase similar to a motorcycle. 
Frank Swygert
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2014 at 11:32pm
re: the "chevy swap" issue.

it's 2013. it's his car. s/he can do what s/he wants with it.

i totally agree on 'all amc' is a great, if not best, path. BUT! my personal main objection to the chevy 250 swap is the BORING-A** 350! it's a fine motor and all, but sheesh, dull and common and boring as Wonder Bread.

do something interesting! and in character with the car. '65 americans are very, very nice chassis. the199/232/258 series is a great motor. parts are easy to find, lots of expertise here and elsewhere. HP limited only by money.

but if you put something odd but interesting in it -- like that quad4 transplant (that eventually went off the rails and disappeared), a modern 4, some vintage 6, whatever, OK, interesting again.

the easiest path to fun and performance and lowest cost is to build a 232 that fits into the existing mounts and trans but upgrade to late 1990's tech (cam, carb, exhaust, ignition).
1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2014 at 11:49pm
oh wait, the thread subject! LOL

T-96 transmission popping out of first. YES. as others said it's a lousy transmission. i can't figure out when it was first introduced, but Eisenhower was likely president (or was still a general). it was weak and mediocre when new.

alas, it's also extremely expensive to rebuild. parts are hard to find. i did one (erm, twice). see http://www.wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-American/Transmission/index.html. and you absolutely need a correct-year TSM (i assume you have one, worth it's weight in gold).

the far-more-modern (sic; that's a joke) T-14 actually fits in the hole -- most of them -- but is much shorter, hence you need a custom driveshaft. do not despair! THAT, a custom driveshaft -- and likely better balanced than the junk thing in there now -- will cost LESS thAN THE PARTS for the T-96 rebuild.

4, 5 years ago, full overhaul parts my T-96 with overdrive cost $600 (the OD added a good chunk of that). I could find the name of the parts place if you need it.  i think it was this place: http://nwtparts.com/

if mine didn't have the OD (and i was not so foolish as to have done the rebuild, then) i would today ditch it for a T-14. or if i could afford it, a T-5 and the Modern Driveline adapter.

none of this stuff is cheap anymore.

* in high school they were just "one of the cars out there"
* by 1990 they were old, used orphan cars
* by 2012 taking a desert road trip in my 63 classic was like preparing an excursion to
   mars in a Jules Verne spaceship.
* i stopped complaining about "kids" (in their 30's) not having heard of AMC, when i realized that
  when i was 30, if you asked me about a new leather clutch cone for my Model T, i would have
  said, "WTF, over?"
* more Ford Model T's were made by 1928, than all AMC/Ramblers cars produced from
  1957-1989. ponder that.

no one < 40 knows what "points" are except on their mortgage. if they can even get one.

what was once mundane is now exotic. "seems the same to me!" though! lol.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

melvinew2 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melvinew2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2014 at 11:00am
Why would you build a car to make money for? If i was doing that i would have not got a amc in the first place as they do not sale at all in my part of ohio. I saw a stock rambler 2 door with a v8 and a new pant job sale for 1800 about 30 mins away and the guy sat on it for 5 month trying to get more.  I got the car for my self i know if i put any motor in it even a amc i will lose money in my part of the county. I am building it for a nice little hot rod to take to car show. I am not building it to sale to make money. On the amc board i see a lot of people throwing numbers around. My question is does any one just make a car they like and not care about number of how much it will sale for.  
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2014 at 11:12am
Mel, that's what most of us here do! I know I have $20K in my 63 Classic... I might be able to actually get $10K for it, if I sit on it a while. It's a mild custom, not stock. If I were really trying to sell it I don't think I'd get a serious offer from an AMC person. It does have an AMC family motor (hopped up 4.0L), and is a great cruiser, but I think I'd have better luck selling it to a hot rodder who wanted a nice cruiser than a dyed-in-the-wool AMC guy. 
Frank Swygert
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2014 at 1:48pm
I too can be accused of that.  In 2001 I put $16,000.00 in to a $350.00 Spirit that I could sell anywhere when it was done for about $3500.  Now some 13 years later I am still driving it, 13 year and 50,000 miles later and realizing it has been the most fun car I have ever owned and that includes my Donohue.
And for the last 3 years I have been working on a Hornet Sportabout to take the work load of my Town and Country.  It should be done this year if I don't have another heart attack.  It won't be for sale unless it is part of an estate. When it gets done though my Spirit most probably will be for sale.

70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
melvinew2 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melvinew2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2014 at 2:33pm
I am building the car for my self just to hot rod around. i am not going to spend big money in it but i know i am going to hing on to the car for a bit so i might as well make it a good driver. that i can go to the autozone and they will have the motor parts i need to fix it in stock. I should be able to do a sbc swap for 2000-3000. And have a car i can drive ever day if i want to... and if i ever do sale it i might be able to get 2000-3000 in it not really worried about the lost it will be fun to build and nice to say i build it not some one else! Thank you all for the help. 

I have no money in the car It was a trade car the 5 trade in a line.  I lost my hot rod because i was a dumb young man about 5 years ago and traded a great car for a car that looked great but was a pos so now i am wanting to build a new one.  that's a long story in its self!
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/04/2014 at 4:11pm
Ya gotta build it then get your money's worth of ENJOYMENT out of it! 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic