TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T5 Tranny conversion- shift issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 9:31am
Sorry - working from a cell phone on vacation in B. F. Texas. I think I got the link fixed now - page 7 shows the amount I removed.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 9:48am
The drawing on page six shows two possible bind points.

Also the pilot bearing can bind, I have another post related to that here:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/390-pilot-bearing-concerns-t5-swap_topic72192.html
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 10:23am
Providing all of the parts are used as they should have been the only time I have worked with people having this problem is that they used a Ford clutch disc rather than an AMC clutch disc in the pressure plate,. Assuming of course it is an AMC pressure plate being used.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 11:12am
The Centerforce DF uses a Chevy pressure plate and a Mustang clutch disk (dimensionally).
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
scramboy View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scramboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 12:12pm
You'll get it worked out it will be worth the effort I did it in my AMX best decision I ever made. Vastly improves the drivability. I used the same Hays pp with a Hays mustang disc. I have no experience with Centerforce products. I was also able to find a rare Jeep scattershield. Persevere it will work out.
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 12:17pm
Is there any advantage to dropping $$$ on a Centerforce clutch? I start seeing words like "performance" clutch and really wonder if that should be the first thing to avoid. :/
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 1:10pm
Some where around 1993 I replaced my T-10 with a WC T5 using all AMC parts as needed. The Flywheel, clutch and pressure plate were all re-used. The throw out bearing was compatible with the bell housing removed from a T4 application on a Pacer 6 cylinder engine. 23 years and another 50,000 miles there has not been a problem with things. As to other brands of components I have no comments on how they may be used or fail.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 3:03pm
I had a similar problem with my T5 swap. Its a little hard to describe what was wrong, but I'll do my best.

The flywheel has the surface the clutch disc rides on. Then there is a recess in the center of the flywheel where it bolts to the crankshaft. The clutch disc I used at first had a ring of rivets on the flywheel side, holding the disc components together. That ring of rivets just barely contacted the outer edge of the recess on the flywheel. This bound up the clutch, not letting it release like it should. I had the car on jack stands, & couldn't shift the transmission, or get the rear wheels to stop spinning. I tried a different brand of clutch & the rivets were placed in a smaller circle, so they didn't hit the flywheel. Worked fine after the disc swap. It is something else for you to double check when you have it apart.

Edited by scott - Mar/21/2016 at 4:58pm
hassyfoto View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hassyfoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 7:55pm
Chris,

I followed your post (page 6-8) and continued as your did. Unfortunately, I had to guess at the thicknesses, as I do not own a micrometer. Anyway, bought 3/16 inch aluminum plate, made a template and created the spacer to go between the tranny & bell. I also shaved down the hub of the clutch Using you photos & rough guesstimating. I will reassemble everything tomorrow and see what happens. I am suspecting that I may need a slightly thicker spacer plate, so I also bought 3/32 inch aluminum plate and plan ( if needed) to make two more thin spacers and add them as needed. Since I have several unknown measurements ( thickness of my flywheel vs. what you have, thickness of your spacer plate vs. what I just created and how much I shaved off the hub of the clutch) I am not sure how much movement I have created for the clearance needed.

I am thankful that your responded so quickly, because I really had no idea what the cause was with the shifter issues and was at a loss.

I used the Dorman pilot bearing that Fuzzface2 had listed, so, I had no issues there at all.

I will update either tomorrow night or over the weekend on the results.

Murphy's Law:
Any given mechanical job you decide to solve alone will imminently require a third hand, at its most critical moment

AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/17/2016 at 8:07pm
It sounds like you have a good plan.

It might be good to try installing the transmission without the clutch disc. Then you can put it in gear and turn the drive shaft, and if it rotates freely you know the pilot bushing and input shaft are not binding.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic