TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - T5 Swap - What flywheel to use? And what clutch?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T5 Swap - What flywheel to use? And what clutch?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kingsX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/25/2014 at 12:29pm
I have the CF dual friction on my 360 with a T5 and love it.  I had a stock style clutch the 1st time around and it didn't last long. I also went cheap and got a junk yard T5 and had to rebuild it the following year.  I always start out going cheap and end up spending more in the long run.  Don't think I'll ever learn.

73 AMX Javelin PC
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 2:05pm
Everybody seems to really like the CF Dual Friction so much I'm starting to think twice about going with anything else. Lots of CF competitors will tell you that the weights don't do anything at low rpm, but my engine doesn't build max torque at low rpm either. To me theres alot of value in a light clutch feel, as it'll make it easier t
o slip it smoothly to launch the car.

One thing that is a little irritating is that the CF kits only come with the disc and plate, so you still need to buy the TO bearing. That runs the cost up to $400 or so - yikes.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 2:17pm
400 is kind of expensive but well worth it.  I put a new one in my car when I did the rebuild on the engine.  The one I took out was also CF and there probably wasn't anything wrong with it but I just wanted everything new.  I sold the old cover for 125.00 here on the forum.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/26/2014 at 9:10pm
SPEC makes a Stage 1 clutch that would probably work fine for $260:

http://www.specclutches.com/651897/spec-stage1-clutch-dj-sj151-521565

What I dont like are the reviews. Lots of chatter, and lots of "grabs like heck" comments. Sounds like the friction surface is just too agressive and you cant slip it easily.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2014 at 7:59am
OK, I'm confused.
I'm reading that the CF kit is the one to go with.
Does the kit have a 1-1/16" diameter 10 spline disc? Mustang T5 has a 1-1/16 ten spline shaft, not 1-1/8 10 spline like AMC four speeds.
Every kit for AMC I've looked up has a 1-1/8" diameter 10 spline disc, not correct for a T5 from a mustang. What diameter and spline is the jeep t5?
I suppose a disc and pressure plate could be purchased separately.

What have you guys been doing?

I installed a diaphragm plate from an AMC with a Mustang disc, so far it works great, but with more power planned....

Armand
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2014 at 2:46pm
White, order the clutch setup for a late 70's V8 3 speed Jeep, they used the 1 1/16" spline.

Don't order a clutch for an AMC V8 & 4 speed, it won't work with the T-5.

Cheaping out on the clutch is going to cost you a lot more $$$ in the long run when the cheap clutch quickly fails, & you have to shell out more $$$$ for a good clutch. I'm living proof of that, & I won't make that mistake again. Brand name, well known, performance clutches for me from here on out. Plus, I don't want the cheap chinese clutch blowing up & taking my lower extremities with it.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2014 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by scott scott wrote:

White, order the clutch setup for a late 70's V8 3 speed Jeep, they used the 1 1/16" spline.
Yep that is what I used Jeep with 1 1/16" spline as everything I have seen posted said use the 1 1/16" disc.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2014 at 5:10pm
DF180675 is the Centerforce part number for the Dual Friction kit for 77 CJ w/304. That has the 1-1/16" ten spline disk with correct Jeep offset (well, correct lack of offset).
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2014 at 10:46pm
New question -

Is the weight on the 360 and 401 flywheel in thesame location? Jegs sells a single flywheel that covers both applications supposedly, but as impossible as that is I dont mind as I will be match balancing to my old flexplate.

I just dont want to end up with a flywheel thats weighted in the wrong location. If they all have the weight in the same spot but just different weighting then I should be fine ordering the Jegs flywheel.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2014 at 7:16am
No hey are not in the same place. Then again they could be but of different sizes to meet the needs of the 2 different motors.

Thing is someone thought it was a good thing to lump all gen II flywheels together as they all bolt up thing they did not know is each flywheel is balanced for the size motor it is to be used on.

If you know your flex plate is balanced right for your motor to be safe have your new flywheel matched balanced to the flex.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic