TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T5 mods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 mods
    Posted: Jun/22/2015 at 1:16pm
Ok I picked up a WC T5 out of a 2,8 ltr V6 S15. I'm just wondering what all I will need besides the input shaft to use it on a 72+ 232/258 .
or can I use it as is with a GM slip yoke or not at all .
71 360 Hornet sst 83 2wd 360/727 Eagle wagon (crashed)
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2015 at 8:04pm
Your are going to need a bell housing or an adapter for one, and I don't think either exists. It is too bad as there are a lot of GM T5's around at good prices that would work, but the do not bolt up to anything. Slip joints are pretty much an I don't care as universals can be pretty much had to adapt to almost anything.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/22/2015 at 8:55pm
I believe Lakewood makes a scattershield that will allow you to bolt that transmission to your engine. Bad thing is, the scattershield is $$$$, & most likely overkill for your application.

It may be easier & cheaper to use a Ford spec T5, & the factory T5 style AMC bellhousing.

If you go with a 5.0 Ford T5, you'll get much better gear ratios as compared to the S15 T5.

The vast majority of S10 T5's were not World Class. There are rumors that one year (1993???) they had WC T5's, but many say that is not true. A WC may be overkill for your application anyways, but isn't a bad thing to have. Look at the front mainshaft bearing, Marked Timken its WC, not marked not WC.

toolmanxiii View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2015 at 6:04am
I have a bell housing off a T5 eagle.  and I checked the front bearing it's a WC . my thoughts are more along the lines of input shaft' tail housing and output shaft. This one does not have the 5 deg slant and lines up with the bolt pattern on my bell .the shifter is really close to the main body . just the input shaft looks short. and I don't have one to get measurements from . 
I've looked at fleebay and see lots of Ford input shafts fairly inexpensive. but not much in the output shaft department and I did not get the yoke with it .... But free is free.and work from there .

Edited by toolmanxiii - Jun/23/2015 at 6:11am
billd View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Forum Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote billd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2015 at 7:00am
Eagle is of course hydraulic clutch.........
Watch closely the differences in the bell housings, clutch forks, etc. as far as the distance the flywheel surface sits back into the bell housing. I found a difference between say an 82 258 and a 4.0 - the flywheel sits 1/4" further ahead on a 4.0 compared to the 258 so it makes a bit of a difference on the angle of the release fork, linkage, etc.
Are you sure that's a WC T5?  A neighbor builds street rods and had 2 or 3 of the GM type T5s laying around and those sure look light even compared to my non-WC AMC issue T5.
The synchronizers inside were different, as were some internal bearings, etc.
I've got a parts T5 at home that is an AMC T5 and could measure that later tonight...... I had to make some heavy notes when I rigged in the pilot bearing (not a bronze pilot bushing but a real sealed bearing) and extended the release bearing so it would reach 1/4" further forward to keep the clutch linkage running correctly. Otherwise I'd have been further out on the slave cylinder and the fork would have had to move further ahead, losing some mechanical advantage and making it just a tad bit harder to release.
I also had to go through the alignment process in the book to keep things true as things wanted to bind when I just threw it up in place and bolted it in.

On the yoke - yeah, you'll likely have to find a joint to adapt the GM yoke to the drive shaft. Start measuring and going through the parts books or lists online.

T5s - there are so many differences and different parts and specs, about all that's the same in all of them is they are all 5 speeds - that's been my observation.
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2015 at 7:51am
Again if you can get it on the engine that is one thing, the tail shaft is a no brainer, Slip yokes are available any number of places and universals to make it work.
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2015 at 8:09am
The S10 tailhousing places the shifter more toward the firewall than a standard T5 from a Mustang. I only see people use them if they have a bench seat.

If you swap input shafts itll need to match the original ratio, which is usually 2.95 for GM. There is a 2.95 Ford style input shaft, but i think it may be for z-spec only, and wouldnt work with a standard output shaft.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2015 at 8:36am
thanks  uncljohn and billd. the bell I have was off an 82 sx4. when I got the car the trans was gone but the bell, clutch slave cyl and the rest was all still on the motor. the shift knob was on the floor.
I found by trolling the cheby sites that many have just gone with a 9 1/4 disc and put them behind SBC's with no problems.
 this will probably go into an American body I'm trying to acquire.and won't be hammered on "too much"  so i have time to do more research/parts collecting  . 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2015 at 8:45am
You can use a Jeep input shaft if you have an S-10 T-5 with 4.03 first gear (most 84+ models with V-6). If you have the 3.76 first gear you're out of luck.
http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1044877

Video:
http://lugnutz65chevystepside.weebly.com/s10-t5-transmission-jeep-shaft-swap---diy-and-skip-the-adapter-plate.html

Frank Swygert
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote toolmanxiii Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2015 at 11:30am
Thanks farna .
I just got off the phone with T&B transmissions . They tell me pretty much the same thing , the NWC T10 and the Jeep T5 input shafts interchange as long as they are both 21 teeth . they also said that GM did what they wanted so it could very well be a WC with a 14 spline input shaft . the only way to tell for sure is pull the covers off.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic