TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T5 high HP clutch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T5 high HP clutch
    Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 3:46pm
Hey guys, I’ve just started building my super charged stroker 401(430 cu in) motor and I’ve got a built up Mustang T5 with GF gear set. I’m concerned that my CF dual friction clutch isn’t going to be enough for this new motor. Has anyone used the T5 in a high HP car and what clutch did you use and how well did has it worked out for you? This is mostly a street car but will see some track time.

Thanks in advance, Steve
73 AMX Javelin PC
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 4:13pm
A T5 with GF 1st and 2nd gears is what I have behind my stock 401 and when I put it together the speed shop stated it should be good for 350 HP. They stated a full gear set is a waist of money as 1st and 2nd will see the most torque and I'd blow the casing if I put more HP to it.

I believe your well above that, and the T5 case won't hold up regardless.

I read some with 425 HP lasting and running mid 10's in light Mustangs though. Maybe just because it's that much lighter car - can only go by what experienced builders told me at the time.

McLeod 10.5" diaphragm clutch. Don't think they sell these any more.
kingsX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 4:20pm
Promotion built it to be good to 600 HP. At the time I thought that would be enough. I’ll be over that now i’m Sure. If it lasts a year or 2 I’ll be happy. If not back to the drawing board I guess. Thanks I’ll check out McLeod’s clutches.
73 AMX Javelin PC
scott View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 4:27pm
What is your present combo & how do you like the Centerforce?? I need to upgrade the clutch behind my 390, going in to a T5.
kingsX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 4:30pm
I’ve been happy with the CF for a few years now behind my 360.
73 AMX Javelin PC
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 4:30pm
Oh is this for the Javelin? There's a point with the WC T-5 where you quickly reach the law of diminishing returns. They can be built real well but to withstand only so much. What would be the successor to this? The AX-15? Does a RWD version exist? I would put a truck transmission in an Eagle but I'm not sure how that would go in a fastback. I'm using an off the shelf Powertorque clutch. I would not want to drop in a Omix-Ada or Centerforce in a wheeler. Not sure if it would be much improvement in a super Jav either.
1971 Javelin SST
American 304 2v | FMX | AM20-3.31

1983 American Limited
Jeep 4(.7)L S-MPFI | 1982 NWC T-5M (4.03/.76) | Dana30IFS/35-2.72
kingsX View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kingsX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 4:32pm
If this trans fails, I’ll probly go to a TKO or a T56.
73 AMX Javelin PC
White70JavelinSST View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote White70JavelinSST Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/09/2018 at 4:48pm
Get back to us with your results please.

I've often wondered how strong those 600hp rated T5's really are.
70 Javelin SST, second owner, purchased 1972
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 10:00am
Originally posted by White70JavelinSST White70JavelinSST wrote:

Get back to us with your results please.

I've often wondered how strong those 600hp rated T5's really are.
Yes please do get back to us.
When I rebuilt my WC T5 for my 70 Javelin I added some hop up parts to it. I am still worried it lasting for a few track runs with a 360.

I am running a Center Force DF setup but have not driven the car other than in/out of the garage since I installed the T5.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
Red Devil View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2018 at 10:50am
Torque rating is a better indicator than horsepower rating, e.g. a diesel might only have 250hp rating but over 600 ft.lbs. torque.  A high-winding small displacement engine might have 600hp but less than 400ft.lbs torque.   A higher "hp rating" may only mean it's safer to spin the transmission to a higher rpm - not that it can handle a bunch more torque. 

Key to making the transmission live will be a clutch that slips a bit and a lighter weight flywheel so you don't shock the transmission too much on the launch or shifts.   A heavy flywheel and hard-hitting clutch with slicks will eventually break most transmissions. 

For a streetable high-torque capable clutch, likely need a twin-disc clutch, but they generally don't slip much so not the best dragstrip option. 

I've got a McLeod Street Twin w/ aluminium flywheel and their Borg & Beck/Long hybrid PP behind my 401 w/ T56 Magnum (twin 10.5" organic discs).  Got it as an overstock sale item. It's really too much clutch, but doesn't slip and street-friendly.   Part number 63506B-XX-07 (for 1 1/8" x 26 spline).  Not sure if they still offer the twin-disc clutches for AMC?

Hope this helps, RD

Edited by Red Devil - Jan/21/2018 at 11:50am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic