TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T-5 Adapter for 50-71 AMC Six!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-5 Adapter for 50-71 AMC Six!
    Posted: Sep/24/2013 at 9:29am
I know there is an old topic on this, but thought I'd start a new one. Bruce at Modern Driveline worked with TomJ and I (mostly Tom!) to make this adapter available. The adapter is made to use both the "short" pattern T-96 bell (four point engine mount cars) and the "tall" pattern (three point engine mount cars). It will work with any pre 72 AMC six. It uses the modern V-6 T-5 (94-98 has cable speedo, 99-04 has electronic speedo pickup only) or the 94-95 V-8 T-5 (cable speedo).  Contact info is below, but first some details on the trannys.

V-6 gear ratios are:
3.35 1.93 1.29 1.00 0.73 3.15
The V-8 gear ratios are:
3.35 1.99 1.33 1.00 0.68 3.15

The 2005-2010 Mustang V-6 T-5 should work as well. It has a lower first gear (3.75), electronic speedo pickup (no cable!), and has a remote mount shifter. The shifter mounts to the body with rods connecting to the trans, similar to the old Twin-Stick shifter. This might help with shifter location. It also uses a hydraulic throw-out bearing and a different driveshaft -- no slip-yoke, the shaft bolts to a flange. The shaft must be a telescoping type, so get the shaft as well if using one of these. (NOTE: Modern Driveline states that it isn't easy to relocate the shifter, so the 05-10 transmission would be difficult to use)

With any of the trannys a 3.31 or lower rear axle would be best, but with the 0.68 a 3.08 might be acceptable. Almost all T-96s had a 2.605 first gear and used as low as 4.37 (optional for 60 and earlier Rambler 6 with OD and 196 OHV) axle gears with OD. Most early 60s cars used a 4.11 or 3.78 with OD, while the last Americans to use the T-96/OD trans used a 3.08 axle (with 14" tires -- taller tires would need a little more gear, shorter tires less). I personally wouldn't go less than a 3.31 gear with either trans, and a 3.55 or 3.78 wouldn't be good with the 0.73 OD. The Borg-Warner ODs were all 0.70.  You need enough gear to run the engine in the 1900-2100 range at a cruising speed of 65-75. Under 1900 rpm and the engine may pull the car fine, but will work harder and take more fuel. The 196 will run steadily at 2500 rpm, but the old design wasn't made to run that fast for sustained periods and it will use a bit more oil than usual (as much as a quart in 1000 miles for a healthy engine). Top power was rated at 3200 rpm, but I've never been able to reach over 3000 rpm with the engine in the car (don't recall if I even reached 3000 -- may have been more like 27-2800!).

2005 Mustangs use a 3.31 rear axle with the T-5 and 27" tires (235/55R17 -- 27.2" diameter). That would be a 205/75R15 (27.1"). With a 27.2" tire and 0.68 gear ratio the car would travel 67 mph @ 2000 rpm (3.31 axle). With a 205/70R15 (26.3") speed would be 69.6 mph. A 26" tire might be best (68.8 mph). Go to www.4lo.com (or other websites) and play with the metric tire size (to find diameter) and gear ratio calculators (use "1" for xfer case ratio) to figure out what's best for your car.

Even if you didn't use either first or OD due to rear axle ratio, you'd have a great four speed with a better gear spread than the old three speed. It would also be a fully synchronized trans (only one synchro between 2nd and 3rd on the old T-96, DO NOT down-shift into 1st unless at or very near a complete stop or you'll chip teeth!!).

====================================

On 04/17/2013 06:16 PM, Bruce Couture wrote:

Ok, gentlemen, We have AMC adapter available for sell. 

MD-401-2400     Adapter plate, T-5 Ford, AMC/Nash/Rambler 199, 232, 71 258, 1950-71 6 cylinder T-96/T-14, with hardware  $180

MD-401-2400S  Adapter plate, T-5 Ford, AMC/Nash/Rambler, 199, 232, 71 258, 1958-71 6 cylinder T-96/T-14, with hardware, No rotation for Front shift T-5  $180

(NOTE: the "Front Shift" T-5 is one that MD sells. It has the shifter forward like an S-10 trans)

Taking orders at this time.

Regards, Bruce

Modern Driveline Inc.

"Your five/six speed conversion source"

208-453-9800 ext 101

facebook.com/ModernDriveLine

Modern Driveline can supply drive shafts and clutches with bearings for the conversion. Call for details on measuring for the driveshaft. They can also supply hydraulic release bearings if you're interested in converting to a hydraulic clutch.

Edited by farna - Nov/29/2013 at 1:08pm
Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2013 at 12:30pm
Bruce hasn't had any response to the new adaptor, which is unfortunate. They haven't been out long, but he may be putting them on e-bay and discontinuing it due to lack of response. If you've been thinking about one of these it would be a good idea to contact him!
Frank Swygert
jeremy0711 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeremy0711 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2013 at 1:12pm
I am interested in seeing these but there are not any pics
slownugly View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slownugly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2013 at 2:11pm
wish i would have seen it before i decided on a 72 258. i still have a 71 258 in storage. maybe ill snag one but it wouldnt be anytime soon.
28 model a                  73 gremlin drag car

74 gremlin project

00focus v8 5speed

hot rod rollback
68 american mpg project
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2013 at 9:20am
I don't have a photo, but here is the CAD file print sent to me by Modern Driveline.

Frank Swygert
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2013 at 9:49am
From ramblin64sw (in a thread under engines):
It's unfortunate they weren't available a year ago, it took a lot of effort to make my own adapters to get a T-5 behind 196 L-head in my 64. Still, it was the best investment that I made in that car. The T-5 completely changed the personality of car, it makes the most out of the 196's short power range.  (At least the one in my car anyway, she's a bit down on power from what she had at the factory.) It has far more usable power, better economy, and it's a blast to drive. I certainly don't intend to be owning my last Rambler, and when the time is right to pick up another one, it too will get a T-5 and an 8.8. I certainly hope that these adapters are still available then!

===================

All I can say is you better order one ASAP if you want to make sure you get one. After the initial run is gone there will only be more made if Bruce thinks there will be enough demand to sell 5-10 a year.  If you can't buy before the end of the year make plans to order one in the first quarter of 2014 if you definitely want one. I'd order one myself, but I don't plan on doing anything with an early Rambler engine any more. But I may get one to hold onto just in case...
Frank Swygert
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2013 at 12:28pm
Am surprised no one responded.......but none of my stuff is pre'72............if I had an old Rambler I sure would snag one.
nickleone View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickleone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2013 at 12:43pm
By the end of the day there will be one less adapter.
my partner in crime is working his way to the phone as I type.
We are pulling the 196 for a Xmas week rebuild start.

Nick
nick
401 71 Gremlin pro rally car sold
390 V8 SX/4 pro rally car sold
1962 Classic SW T5 4 wheel disc brakes
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2013 at 3:27pm
The issue is a day late and a dollar short.
There are guys out there that want these, the product is likely not hitting their ears!

Most of us 6 cylinder guys got disgusted with trans choice and moved up to post 71 stuff.

I promise that if my car still had a early 232 in it I would have one of those adapters asap.

But all that stuff is gone but one lone 232 that I need to get the crank out of if the weather will let me do it!

I'd hope he'd just let the stock stay and advertise it.
Isn't getting the cad file the big issue with these kind of parts? (I honestly don't know enough to say).
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2013 at 4:22pm
Well, more or less (CAD file), but then it's a matter of having it machined. That costs a good bit for a one-off part. MD only does the prototype to check fit, then sends the CAD file out to a volume shop to have 5-10 made at a time. It's cheaper for them to do it that way.

I've sent articles out to AMO and AMCRC (who just printed it in their newsletter, AMO likely will for the Nov/Dec issue), and just sent it to the Nash Car Club. It will take a few months to get through, but hopefully they will get some orders this spring.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic