TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

t10 v and shifter 68

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2018 at 8:43pm
Gary,
  Here's a photo of an original shifter handle and my new one. Original is the upper one. Length, bend, chrome, shaft diameter and shift ball thread are all identical to the original. The only difference other than the spring loaded caps (which are under the shifter boot) is the new lockout ring. It is chrome plated rather than the anodized aluminum of the original. It is easy to change and put an original aluminum lockout ring onto the new shifter handle if you want to do that and you have an original lockout ring. I will do it free for anyone who sends me their original lockout ring when buying a new handle.

The larger base of the new shifter is made to accommodate the spring loaded caps which are included in the install kit as shown. It mounts exactly the same as the original and new rubber grommets and correct self-locking shouldered bolts and washers are also included in the install kit.
  One of Steve_P's criticisms of the original shifters is that they feel loose/sloppy. Many I've seen are that way because the handles are worn, someone replaced the proper shouldered bolts with regular 1/4-28 bolts and  washers, or because the correct rubber grommets were missing or deteriorated. The new shifter handles come with the correct grommets, shouldered bolts and washers, ready to bolt to your original shifter. The reverse lockout mechanism works exactly like the original.
  All that advertising aside, the new handle is still stirring the original AMC shifter box, even if you clean it up, replate/relube, etc. It can be made to work as well as these shifters did when new, and will stay as tight in the shifter box as is possible with this design. The spring loaded caps eliminate much of the slop and looseness that the originals suffered due to wear of the shifter handle in the shifter box. My goal in developing these new handles was to make a concours correct shifter handle for 68 and early 69 Javelins/AMX's that performs better than the original. You can't replace the broken lockout cable and replate an original shifter handle for what these cost. And you'd still have a shifter handle that rattles in the shifter box. It's not a Hurst, but it is correct for the cars listed and can be used on any T-10 equipped AMC with the original AMC shifter. I think all the  67 cars (Rebel,Rogue, Ambassador) used a T-handle for the reverse lockout instead of the ring used on 68/69 cars. As I said, it's easy to change the lockout if you have the original T-handle or ring.
  Probably more than you wanted to know, but I've spent nearly 5 years working on this one project and I'm happy with the results. It's taken a lot of my time (and money!) but I tried to fill a need in the AMC world as others here have done. This is a labor of love for the hobby, I have a couple other small projects in the works also to keep our old AMC's going. Stay tuned!
  If I can help with your shifter or supply a new handle, let me know.
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
amx007 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/04/2018 at 8:12am
Nice job love it what’s the price
All the best
Gary
dream red white and blue
1968 Chicago auto show amx 290 4 speed
1969 driver Amx 290 auto
TX390AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX390AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/05/2018 at 4:10pm
Gary,
  The new shifter handles are $145 + shipping/insurance. The last ones I sent worked out to $160 in the US. This includes the installation kit (new self-locking shouldered bolts, new grommets/washers, caps/springs). I use a tube of white lithium grease to coat the caps and interior of the shifter box, spray would work also. If you want to change the reverse lockout ring, send me a PM, I'll talk you through it. It's not difficult, just some things you need to be aware of.

Terry Sumter

Edited by TX390AMX - Nov/05/2018 at 4:13pm
Terry
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Rally Green
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Matador Red
68 AMX 390 4 Sp Calcutta   
   Russet
56 Chevy Sedan Delivery
2016 Can AM Spyder
55 Chev pickup
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic