TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T10 Stuck in Reverse

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66AMBASSADOR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T10 Stuck in Reverse
    Posted: Apr/20/2014 at 10:27am
I just inherited a 66 Ambassador Convertible from my late father.  Its a great car, however I'm having shifting issues.  It has the t-10 4 speed with the floor shifter.  

After I use reverse, sometimes it gets caught between gears?  After using reverse and then trying to put it in any forward gears, it seems like the transmission is "locked" between forward and reverse and although the shifter is engaged, It will not move forward or reverse and stalls the engine when you let the clutch out.  

When my dad owned the car, several mechanics blamed the shifter(after they had "rebuilt" the transmission).  The vehicle only has 66K and the shifter seems to operate correctly.  I've used the fatory adjustment procedure and didn't work.  One said it needs a new pin? and the other said whe sould but a mustang shifter in it, not!  

By the way, we sent the shifter to both Hurst and and BW and they both said it wasn't their shifter?  

A couple of questions? 

First does anyone know a fix or have experienced the same problem?

Anyone know who made this shifter?

FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2014 at 10:36am
Mine did that when the shift linkage was out of adjustment.

There are adjustments on the 1-2, 3-4, and R shift levers on the side of the gearbox.

Odds are it's not fully disengaging R when you move the lever to a forward gear, so locked in two gears at once.
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
Have2SC's View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Have2SC's Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2014 at 10:40am
  had the same problem with my 68 AMX, and no it is not a hurst shifter!  my brother and i pulled it apart and cleaned/lubed everything and drove it and it was fine,  until i put it away for the winter and it would get sticky again.  lubrication is the key.  Lee
1971 SC360 Hornet 4 speed   1970 Javelin 390 4 speed "Base Model" 1967 Rambler 220 X code 343 4 speed
401jim View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401jim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2014 at 10:48am
X 2 with Lee. Lube is most important. Also if it is a Hurst you must adjust linkage rods with a 1/4 inch rod in side of shifter to keep in neutral during adjustments.Its a PIA in the car but totally necessary.....
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2014 at 11:02am
back in the late 70's i made a shifter that had two levers, one for forward and one for reverse.  i could lock the two levers together and the car would not move.  this is most likely your problem as one of the levers on your shifter is not correctly aligned as FSJunkie said.
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2014 at 5:03pm
Good suggestion about cleaning and lubricating. If that doesn't fix it, you may have rods that are binding because of wear or the levers have worn holes where the rods connect, or both!
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2014 at 7:05pm
Or the plastic shift lever bushings have gone south and there is just too much slop in the linkage to be adjusted out.
Mike
whizkidder View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whizkidder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2014 at 8:41pm
I had a bolt back out of the mounting adapter plate for the shifter to tranny -- locked the linkage in reverse until I fished the bolt out.
Ron Frost
marne1ancient @ gmail.com
910 nine two two 0563

"There is no limit to what a man can do, so long as he does not care a straw who gets credit for it. Charles Montague
rocklandrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocklandrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2014 at 1:58am
Didn't a company named Inland make the shifters? I don't know why that name sticks in my mind.
Past AMC's
1974 Hornet X (new)
1975 Gremlin X (new)
1964 Classic 660 Cross Country
1965 American 440-H
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2014 at 3:26am
The early 1966 to 1969 1/2 shifter is a Ford base shifter....the handle looks very Mustang with the T reverse lock out, that was changed to a ring in 1968.  These old shifters were known to be reliable, just not very precision and in Mid 1969 Changed to a Hurst Competition Plus...shecific to AMC again.  There are many adjustments on the "early" T-10 shifter.....I agree with many other folks sounds like the reverse linkage is either to sloppy or just not adjusted corrected.  Either way it probably has to due with old Lube and adjustments....the plastic and rubber Handle Bushings are all available from American Parts Depot.  If you find some part that is broken or worn out, I have alot of great used parts for these and can probably help.  Don't give up a 1966 AMbo with T-10 is Uber rare and very desirable......fix what is there.  Anyway that I can help, just PM me...where are you located?
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic