TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T10 input shaft won't turn

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T10 input shaft won't turn
    Posted: Mar/23/2018 at 11:18am
A couple of questions about a recently purchased T10 with shifter and linkage.
The shifter linkage was attached but removed prior to shipping to prevent damage. I unpacked everything and all parts arrived with boxes intact, so no obvious signs of damage. Prior to purchase I asked the seller to remove the side cover to see gears and also have him turn the input shaft in each gear to make sure there was no grinding or excessive wear. He sent a video of that to me. 

I tried to turn the input shaft and it won't turn now and appears to have some play up and down and in and out.  So my question is do I need to reinstall the shifter so all linkage is in the correct positions in order to be able to turn the input shaft or is it possible its been damaged during shipping? I do have a mechanic who will take it all apart and replace worn parts and seals as needed, however if there is shipping damage I need to contact the seller and shipper asap. Looked on line and couldn't find anything specific to checking the issue of trouble shooting the shaft not turning. 
Thanks Mike
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2018 at 11:25am
sometimes in shipping the shift levers will move.  if two of them move it will lock out the transmission so to speak.  check all the levers to make sure they are in the neutral position.
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2018 at 12:19pm
Thats what I was wondering, all shift levers were removed along with the shifter for shipping, so I will reattach everything and try it this evening. 

Any thoughts on the up and down play and in and out, not sure how much is normal. I assume the front bearing must be worn and normally there would be little to no play on the input shaft.
mstrcrftr View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstrcrftr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2018 at 12:34pm
a little bit of up and down is normal as the pilot shaft bushing holds the end of the input shaft.  as for in and out, how much would you say its moving?
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2018 at 1:33pm
i agree it is stuck in between gears. some movement up and down and fore and aft is normal.
AMO Newsletter Editor
myrambler View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote myrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2018 at 7:35pm
Thank you for all the replies. 
I had time this afternoon after visiting my parents in the nursing home to stop at my shop. I reconnected the linkage and was able to shift through all the gears and the input shaft turns easily. Thank goodness for that. Turns pretty smoothly too! Not as much end play while in gear. I marked the input and output shaft and turned the input shaft until the output shaft made a full revolution. As close as I can tell it turned 2 3/4 rotations for one turn on the output shaft. It still has the metal tag attached and it reads 3188928 S1-T10T with three rings on the input shaft. so it says in my manual the T10T is a 2.64 first gear which indeed makes sense with the rotation I observed. Shifter handle has the correct T shape fingers for reverse that my original Xcode Rogue had vs the disc ring on the Javelin and later transmissions. So Im getting closer to Cloning my Xcode Rogue now!

Now I need to find a floor plate and boot to swap into my 67 Rogue with automatic. 

I have the bell housing, clutch pedals from a six cylinder American, however I'm told those are not the same as the v8 version. 

So I need the v8 clutch pedal assembly for an American plus all linkage and mounting brackets from the pedals to the bell housing. I do have the clutch fork and boot with spring and pivot ball inside the bell housing. I assume I will need a different driveshaft and yoke for output shaft on T10. 

Any advise and help locating these parts appreciated. I have been told the American is different than the Javelin so those parts don't interchange either. I do have the clutch brake pedal assembly from a spirit that may work, I haven't checked or verified that yet.  

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic