TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T10 Identification Please

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airdrie AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by Sonic Silver Sonic Silver wrote:

Originally posted by Bandana Bandana wrote:

A bit confused - so let me ask.. If my transmission is in fact from 1969 and has the older style large OD  cast retainer with corresponding larger ID bearing, can I swap to a smaller diameter retainer and bearing with no problems?

Reason I'm asking is that if in fact it has the old style cast retainer I think I may go to a new steel retainer and corresponding bearing just to get away from the cast (or if it turns out to be broke or damaged). I saw in the thread link that 6pakbee posted that the new steel retainers could be bought for around $30...

I have a smaller retainer/throwout on one car, and a larger retrofitted to the other many years ago. I have driven both cars pretty hard for 25 and 47 years respectively. I can't tell any difference in either in any way.

I know that the Performance American Style book said to change to the bigger setup for durability, so I did about 30 years ago on one car. The other car has been hammered on for 25 years with the smaller setup with no problem.

I'd have to agree I have the smaller one on my 450hp jav and it gets abused LOL. I think if the throwout bearing went bad or worn clutch fork it would wear the retainer out otherwise it's fine.
72 amx javelin 401 4spd
mmaher94087 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mmaher94087 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2017 at 8:09pm
I have run both large and small retainers and believe the '70 strength issue actually began when a shade tree mechanic pulled the tranny to replace the clutch cover and driven disk and allowed the tranny to drop on the rear lip of the bell housing. IF one pulls the tranny input shaft out of the splines of the driven disk and allows the tranny, specifically the bearing retainer, to drop and hit the rear lip or opening of the bell housing the bearing retainer will crack or break. I have had no problems with either bearing retainer.
Mike
lrallen View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lrallen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2017 at 8:45am
Where can I find a front bearing cover for 30.00? The only one I can find is 195.00 at APD wow.
AMC Forever
Bandana View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bandana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/15/2017 at 5:04pm
"Where can I find a front bearing cover for 30.00? The only one I can find is 195.00 at APD wow."

Probably just me not reading the thread thoroughly... There was a previous subject thread linked to this one a page back and in it there were conversations about a retainer for $30. In going back to look at it I guess they were for the GM version of the T-10. Wishful thinking I guess............

70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 3:01pm
I just had my t 10 tore down date code is 8-21-68  Body has a stamp D2482 on the side. Input shaft has 4 groves. I counted all three  teeth 34/27/24 cluster gears are 18/18/21/26  which from what i can find it is a 2.23 ratio....
Steve_P View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve_P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/11/2018 at 7:22pm
Date is 4/24/68 2nd shift from the stamping.   Yes they changed to 2.23 a few months earlier
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic