TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T-10 Grinding Noise

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T-10 Grinding Noise
    Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 9:40pm
Hi all, I am new to AMC's and to the forum, but have followed the site long enough to know that there are lots of helpful and knowledgeable people here. I have just purchased a 1970 Javelin 390 4 speed. With the engine running and the tranny in neutral, there is a slight grinding sound, which goes away when you push the clutch. Is this just another "old car sound" or is there cause for worry? I do know that at some point in it's life there has been a clutch and bushing replacement, but am unsure when. Thanks.
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 10:33pm
With clutch in transmission stopped and no noise. This shows that the throw out bearing is good. Clutch out gears turn and you get the noise. Could be lots of things inside like bearing between the input and output shaft for one or cluster gear bearings. But I've never had one of those apart. Just GM and Ford 3 spds and a Camaro 4 spd. How about jacking the wheels and running through the gears? What's it like in 4th gear? Linkage set up correctly?
bikerfox View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bikerfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2015 at 11:13pm
This may help:  http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/ts-05.htm
1969 Rebel SST (1970-1987)
1968 AMX (2005-2011)
1969 SC/Rambler (2011-2019)
1970 Javelin (2019 to ?)"Jane"
Frost White 68X View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frost White 68X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 2:42am
I have had throw out bearing turning on clutch fingers with bearing being good  Try adjusting free travel on pedal 
amcglass View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcglass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 6:52am
frost white said it for me pedal adjustment may help not always the cure but a good place to start
Javmanpres

BBG Mark Donohue 401

74 Jav/AMX
71 Matador 2dr sedan delivery wagon
1902 Rambler Runabout   
70 T/A Javelin
JLowe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 9:42pm
Ok thanks for the help. I will try adjusting the free play on the pedal first, as I'm not overly excited to rip the transmission out of the car yet. But first, to diagnose why my coolant temp gauge doesn't work....
amx2bfast View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amx2bfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2015 at 10:18pm
Try the adjustment first.Is the trans noisy when driving {any gear} or only in neutral? Should have about 3/4" to 1" free travel clutch play before engagement.
1975 gremlin
1973 javelin
1976 pacer wagon
JLowe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 8:03am
It's hard to tell if the trans is making much noise when driving, but it is definitely quieter in 4th at, say, 2000 rpm than it is in any other gear.
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 2:49pm
Is it a wrrrrrrrrrrring sound or a schhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ???
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
JLowe View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JLowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2015 at 5:06pm
Definitely a wrrrring sound
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic