TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T10 Bellhousing and flywheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonb79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T10 Bellhousing and flywheel
    Posted: Sep/02/2014 at 7:58pm
Are all bell housings the same for T10's, my engine builder is not that knowledgeable about amc's. He brought up the scenario when doing my engine swap from a 290 to 401 that the 401 flywheel could be a different size then the 290 flywheel and the engine and trans would not bolt up, I really don't know either because I have the 290 in the car still.    
purple72Gremlin View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple72Gremlin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2014 at 8:29pm
T-10 bells are all pretty much the same. But the 290 flywheel will NOT work on the 401. You have to get a 401 flywheel. Do you know what year your 401 is?
jonb79 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonb79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/02/2014 at 9:21pm
The 401 is a 74, I bought a used flywheel, the guy I got it from said it was a 401 flywheel. It fits on the crank but I need longer bolts to hold the flywheel down to the crank.
abndanger View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abndanger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2014 at 3:41am
Jon, AMC engines are balanced external with the flywheel and harmonic balancer. Sounds like the flywheel you have is wrong. I would post in the wanted section for a 401 flywheel or buy one from one of the AMC vendors. The bell housing should be the same.
" LIVING THE AMX DREAM"
1973 AMX Javelin Pierre Cardin
1973 AMX Javelin Barnfind "Wifes"
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2014 at 7:44am
Originally posted by abndanger abndanger wrote:

Jon, AMC engines are balanced external with the flywheel and harmonic balancer. Sounds like the flywheel you have is wrong. I would post in the wanted section for a 401 flywheel or buy one from one of the AMC vendors. The bell housing should be the same.
Are you basing this on "needing longer bolts"? I do not know this for fact but if he is using the 290 flywheel bolts they may be too short as the 290 flywheel is a different beast.

Now if the flywheel he has does in fact fit the crank it could still be wrong for the motor size wise ie:304/360.
Now if building the motor and going to have it balanced then he could use any size motor flywheel as the balancer will balance out.All be it will take more work to make it work.

BTW as far as I know all v8 flywheels are the same OS dia., remember the starter has to run off the OS dia. but the clutch/pressure plates may be a different size. a 290 may run a 10" disc where a 401 may run a 12" disc.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
jonb79 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonb79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2014 at 8:52am
The 401 I have was from a jeep with an automatic, I tried using the bolts that held on the flex plate to hold on the fly wheel and they are to short. The bolts have to have 1in of thread on them to fit correctly. I regret now buying this used fly wheel because the ring gear was welded on and I have to do a lot of work to get it off and replace it so it can be balanced, also there a a lot of holes drilled into it. I'm glad at least I will have no issues with the bell housing.
FuzzFace2 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FuzzFace2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/03/2014 at 9:46am
As you found out you CAN NOT use the flex plate bolts (too short) for the flywheel. When you get the right ones make sure they do not come out the back size of the crank and hit the block.
I guess the ring gear could be welded on but I thought they are shrink fit? Heat the ring up and it falls off.
I also don't think the ring gear has to come off to balance only if the gear has bad teeth.
As for the holes (back side?) that is how it is balanced to the size motor it is made for besides where the weight is placed.
Front side holes may have 2 sets for different size discs.
As for buying that flywheel....well parts are getting hard to find for our cars so we do what we have to.
Dave ----
TSM = Technical Service Manual

75 Gremlin X v8 for sale
70 Javelin 360/auto drag car
70 Javelin 360/T5 Street car
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic