TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T-10 Bearing Retainer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1970390amx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2014 at 11:42pm
A 70 should use the smaller retainer, but I think you are right to build it as the earlier retainer. Any idea what you would charge to machine them for sale?
1970 390 4speed Bittersweet shadow mask AMX
1970 Amx missing most everything, or in a box
70RebelGeezer View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70RebelGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2014 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by fast401 fast401 wrote:

there is a small hole (1/8 inch) about 1 1/2" back from the nose also.
Thank You for that.....I would have missed that for sure......she's been drilled.

Just waiting to get the pre '70 release bearing so I can do the finish size....other than that it's "done like dinner".
'68 Rebel SST
Selling Bellcranks '67-69,'70-up big body cars
3rd gen. American with V-8 Bellcrank assemblies
Gremlin and Hornet Z-bar now available
Z-bar Bronze Bushing
Rebel Gas Tank Straps
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70RebelGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2014 at 3:56pm
Finally completed.......now all I gotta do is, find a service manual. I can borrow one from a Forum member. I'm pretty sure I should do a refresh of the trans.  It's been sitting for a long time and the remaining gear lube looks kinda sketchy.
Once it's apart, I'm going to clean-up the case, aluminum spacer, and tail housing.
Any suggestions concerning where to buy a refurbuild kit ? 
Are the trans case(s) left natural finish ?
'68 Rebel SST
Z-bar Bronze Bushing
Rebel Gas Tank Straps
fast401 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fast401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2014 at 5:10pm
Looking at the trans I have, it looks like the hole should be on the bottom facing down which would allow some grease to get on shaft of the bearing retainer.  That looks great! Now how many are you going to make? Big smile
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!   AMX 19245
Facebook page - AMC Nation
www.fast-401.4t.com
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70RebelGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2014 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by fast401 fast401 wrote:

Looking at the trans I have, it looks like the hole should be on the bottom facing down which would allow some grease to get on shaft of the bearing retainer.  That looks great! Now how many are you going to make? Big smile

How many d'ya want ??Wink

I can just flip the retainer 180 and she'll be good. You can't see it in this photo but I also cut the relief insde the flange section, same as whats on the cast original.

All jokes aside, if I could get some serious, commited interest, I'd look into doing a limited production run.
I'd have to do some numbers crunching to come up with an attractive price.....something that both myself and any customer(s) could live with.
'68 Rebel SST
Z-bar Bronze Bushing
Rebel Gas Tank Straps
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/28/2014 at 5:25pm
Natural finish on trans cases.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
Petes Dragon View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petes Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2018 at 7:23am
I would buy two one for me and one for my brother. Please send info on cost and where to send Money Order. Sincerely, Pete
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70RebelGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2018 at 7:44am
I sold out of all I had. Don't know when I'll be making any more.
'68 Rebel SST
Z-bar Bronze Bushing
Rebel Gas Tank Straps
Petes Dragon View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Petes Dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2018 at 9:17am
When and if you do the offer still stands as it has been impossible to find. I bought the larger ones from Kennedy but they don't fit right even though they said they would and right now I am between a rock and a hard place as the need is still there. Cost is not the issue the retainer is so if you make it I will buy them. Pete
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70RebelGeezer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/09/2018 at 9:41am
I actually do plan on making more sometime later; probably late May or into June. I had been selling them for $ 150.00 + the ride but there will be a price increase for future ones made. What that price will be is unknown but the price of material is not going down. I try to keep my prices reasonable.

My bearing retainers do fit, at least I've never had anyone complain about fitment issues. 

I am my own Machinist and I trial fit each and every one I make on a spare T-10 transmission I have in my shop. 

I make mine to accept the early (pre 1970) style release bearing due to their more robust design.

I really should initiate a pre-order list so anyone wanting one will have a half decent chance of being able to buy one of mine; due to the fact that I do not make large quantities of these at one time. 
'68 Rebel SST
Z-bar Bronze Bushing
Rebel Gas Tank Straps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic