TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Body/Interior
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

"T" roof Javelin Vinyl Top

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "T" roof Javelin Vinyl Top
    Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 3:37pm

Did the 71-72 Javelins with the "T" style vinyl top have a seam on the "A" pillar?

Also wondering about the transition between the vinyl and the wide textured trim piece at the rear quarter windows.  Did the vinyl go over this trim piece or under it?

TIA!
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 4:13pm
Hi,

My 71 Javelin has the factory vinyl top.

The seam at the A pillar is above it and matches with the contour of the roof as it goes around the edge before drop off, down the A pillar.

The quarter trim covers the area where you would think the covering would go. It looks like maybe 1/4" of material fits under the quarter trim.

Mine was white, and had matching trim. So the fake vinyl imprinted texture would give the impression of the area being covered.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 5:50pm

Thanks 304-dude! Just what I needed! 

Interesting that the seam was at the very top of the A-pillar, not 1/4 way down like most GM cars.  Is yours like this photo, or higher up? (Might have to zoom in a bit to see the seam):

Does it look like a sewn seam or just folded over and glued?

Edited by CamJam - Sep/19/2017 at 5:54pm

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 8:21pm
Camjam, I no longer have the material since removal.

I think my vinyl was partially replaced or fixed. There is a bit of work done to the top. Nothing structural, just some sealer and primer from detecting leaks and rust along the a pillar and drip rail.

I searched for some good images, and found something odd.

The image link you posted, is more correct, but seems the a pillar section is a wee too long.

The next time I find the image of a untouched t top style vinyl top I will link it.

Had it until I closed out of the browser, and for the life of me, yahoo images are not picking it up.

It was a light brown with black vinyl top, 71 or 72 AMX, in a garage, dusty and ready for restoration. One of the most unique images one would come across, being that it is untouched barn find quality.

Will do another search in the morning.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2017 at 9:32pm

I found a couple of photos  online where the seam was plainly visible, and they both had the seam quite high up, like this: 

And another:

These would seem to correspond with what you're saying, James.

Edited by CamJam - Sep/19/2017 at 10:25pm

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 3:22am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

I found a couple of photos  online where the seam was plainly visible, and they both had the seam quite high up, like this: 

And another:

<span style="font-size: 0.75em;">
</span>
These would seem to correspond with what you're saying, James.

Yep, that's about right... I guess seeing your original link threw me off on how far down it was.

Though I have an odd feeling it was up to the installer how far the seam will be done. The only limiting factor is the 1 Inch or so play room with the over lap when trimming to fit. It may be from a change up on where AMC got their materials, and may affect early builds or wee differences between 71 and 72 on fitment.

So far the link you originally posted is the most noticeable on the seam section length.
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 5:11am
OK, there are two different install types. Not sure of when the change over was done but the 71 vinyl top differs at the seam.

Here is a 71 top at the A pillar. Notice the seam is angled slightly (not perfectly horizontal)

Here is a another 71... much like the original link you posted in your question.

71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 8:51am
As to the pub above...

I searched Eddie Stakes site through some pix and details of older cars he owned.

Has the 1st 72 Javelin ST off the assembly line. Fully optioned Go-pack and functional cowl hood. Possibly dealer or added by Eddie. Has black vinyl roof and the longer A-pillar seam section.

Will look for early 71 Javelins with vinyl top to verify late 71 to 72 had the odd longer seam section on the A-pillar, which my Javelin very well would have had.

Here is another 71 from Eddie, may be pre a January car. Note the missing vinyl on the A-pillar. Looks like some glue held the seam down. Though the short seam section on top does not appear to have the double stitching as the later longer section shown on the other images.

I think we have a picture on the early 71 AMX with black vinyl top, but it is already restored, so no pre restoration pix available.

Edited by 304-dude - Sep/20/2017 at 9:07am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 9:05am
Hmmm, ok that's good to know. I'm using tan vinyl, which I don't think was even offered by AMC in '72, so its obviously not critical to me to make it concours perfect, but at least now I have an idea about where the factory put the seam.

The T top arrangement should make this a lot easier to install than a full-size top since the vinyl pieces are much smaller and easier to handle. Should just be a matter of proper prep, the right glue and "measure-twice-cut-once".

Thanks for your help, James!

Edited by CamJam - Sep/20/2017 at 9:08am

304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 9:16am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

Hmmm, ok that's good to know. I'm using tan vinyl, which I don't think was even offered by AMC in '72, so its obviously not critical to me to make it concours perfect, but at least now I have an idea about where the factory put the seam.

The T top arrangement should make this a lot easier to install than a full-size top since the vinyl pieces are much smaller and easier to handle. Should just be a matter of proper prep, the right glue and "measure-twice-cut-once".

Thanks for your help, James!

Yep, just realised a thing about my comment on double stitching on the longer seam section. It actually is the crease that is formed with the over lap between the pieces.

So it appears both types have the A-pillar strip glued down under the short section from the top vinyl.

So the A-pillar piece is glued In first and has about 1/3" extra material for the top to overlap.

Take a good look on the images I posted, you will see all the non restored tops show the crease, while the restored tops don't show any crease what so ever. Could be that the installer did not want it to be noticeable or how the vinyl aged and allowed the crease to form.

Edited by 304-dude - Sep/20/2017 at 9:20am
71 Javelin SST body
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic