TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Competition > Autocross, circle track
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

T/A Racing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: T/A Racing
    Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 2:12pm
Trans Am Racing with AMC MOPAR F**D
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/29/2018 at 2:49pm
One of my favorite childhood memories was attending the 1970 Trans Am race at Riverside.  My mom took me, as my dad traveled overseas a lot during those days.  We had the best seats in the house at the top of Turn 6, and it was a classic Parnelli Jones, Mark Donohue battle. Penske was just beginning to find their legs with the Javelin and Donohue finished 3rd (Mustangs were 1 & 2) but Mark gave Parnelli a run for his money. Parnelli got knocked off the track at one point but came back to win. I read somewhere that he considered it one of his best races ever.
'73 Javelin 360 (current project)
'72 Baja Bronze Javelin SST
'69 Big Bad Orange AMX (2018 Teague Heritage Award) SOLD

343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2018 at 8:44am
I was recently fortunate to see some of these cars at Road America as the Historic TA group attended the Vintage event held there. Obviously the two 1970 Javelins weren't present (In the 1970 form anyway).
The famous #6 71 Javelin was present, and it won the day. So that was fun to watch.
The #2 RWR car was also there. So I suppose to some small extent one of the 1970 Javelins was there

Edited by 343sharpstick - Jul/30/2018 at 8:53am
GnipGnop4 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GnipGnop4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2018 at 11:15am
Great stuff. I just bought a 1970 Javelin that ran in several HSR events in the mid 2000s. My son and I plan to freshen her up a bit and have her out later this year at some track days at Willow Springs. Long range plan is to get my racing license and get her back out in some vintage events. It's been running at Sebring for the last 12 years. It's on a transport right now headed west. I should have it in the garage next to my '69 AMX by mid week. Needless to say, I'm pacing around like an expectant father
THE MENACE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote THE MENACE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/30/2018 at 11:32am
Originally posted by CamJam CamJam wrote:

One of my favorite childhood memories was attending the 1970 Trans Am race at Riverside.  My mom took me, as my dad traveled overseas a lot during those days.  We had the best seats in the house at the top of Turn 6, and it was a classic Parnelli Jones, Mark Donohue battle. Penske was just beginning to find their legs with the Javelin and Donohue finished 3rd (Mustangs were 1 & 2) but Mark gave Parnelli a run for his money. Parnelli got knocked off the track at one point but came back to win. I read somewhere that he considered it one of his best races ever.

Small world Cam!! I was at that race too!! Previous years I sat in the stands, but I think I spent most of the time in the pits with my dad that year. Those were good times!!!    
Former Owner of:
The Craig Breedlove "AERO AMX"

Still Owner:
SS/AMX #9 replica (THE BIG MENACE)
70 AMX 416, EFI, Nash 5 speed   
70 Javelin 401, 727 (Wife's)
72 Gremlin Autocross Project.
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/02/2018 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by GnipGnop4 GnipGnop4 wrote:

Great stuff. I just bought a 1970 Javelin that ran in several HSR events in the mid 2000s. My son and I plan to freshen her up a bit and have her out later this year at some track days at Willow Springs. Long range plan is to get my racing license and get her back out in some vintage events. It's been running at Sebring for the last 12 years. It's on a transport right now headed west. I should have it in the garage next to my '69 AMX by mid week. Needless to say, I'm pacing around like an expectant father

Is it the Javelin that was on ebay?
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 1:05am
I raced SCCA during the 90s, and there used to be a humpster in Trans-Am livery that would run at Phoenix sometimes. I somehow thought that the Randalls (of Gremlin 401-XR fame) had something to do with it. Does anyone know of this car or its whereabouts?

GnipGnop4 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GnipGnop4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 8:24am
Yes, the one posted a few months back.
70amcpwr View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amcpwr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 8:41am

The blue one I assume. I was waiting for it to hit $20k, figured if I set an unrealistic number I wouldn't be tempted. Looks like it will be a lot of fun and a good deal.
70amcpwr You just can't fix stupid.
SOLD 1970 BBO Javelin, wifes 73 AMX 360 4spd. Next project 1969 AMX
CamJam View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CamJam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/03/2018 at 8:52am

Posted where?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic