TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

t 10 whine

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: t 10 whine
    Posted: Mar/25/2015 at 8:43pm
i had a bolt that connects the two cases fall out on the highway. After I relized this with huge whine noise i refilled the trans and replaced the bolt. I had no noise at all till 300 miles or so. I now have a nice whine in third gear at 4 k .

Besides leaks between the cases i want to resolve leaks and the whine but not go thru a $$ rebuild since this was done a few years back. What bearings controls third gear that needs replacement ? I bekleive there are only two bearings in the whole trans ?

will another gear start making noise like third gear sine it may be the same bearing ? I found a trans place that charges what is needed only but want a better idea before i drop it off.

Thanks
amc67rogue View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/25/2015 at 9:58pm
Listen to it carefully , does it make noise in 1st 2nd & 3rd and nothing in 4th ??
Keith Coggins 67Rogue X code
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 5:25am
When the fluid comes out of is not properly serviced. the bearings are usually the first casualty.  Then looks at all the gears for spalling/metal transfer.  The drain plug has a magnet, see how much debris you has.  I am sure the cases have not bee hurt, but no easy answer until you look inside.  Just pull the side cover and do a detailed inspection as you rotate everything over...looking for metal transfer from gear to gear.  The T-10 has two main bearing, one in front and one in the mid case.  If you find a bunch of bad gears or damage, I have plenty of parts from 25 years working on them...as long as it is a 2.23 first gear ration unit (most were)..if it is other ratios (2.43 or 2.64) you are in trouble and another assembly might be in your future..which I can help with that too.
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
JodysTransmissions View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodysTransmissions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 9:37am
If you buzz that transmission in 4th gear and she is quiet, you have just eliminated the front and center bearings.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 9:44am
Originally posted by JodysTransmissions JodysTransmissions wrote:

If you buzz that transmission in 4th gear and she is quiet, you have just eliminated the front and center bearings.
             If no noise in 4th. the front bearing could be where the noise is coming from. In 4th there is no side load no the front bearing .
70amxvegas View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70amxvegas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 4:54pm
she was rebuilt about 2k miles ago , it shifts just fine. i am taking it out this the riday but only whine is in third, she leaks between the cases so the question is what causes a whine in third only or which bearing controls third other may follow . no metal in the fluid but again after 300 miles the noise started after fluild drained out
JodysTransmissions View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JodysTransmissions Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2015 at 7:16pm
Originally posted by amc67rogue amc67rogue wrote:

Originally posted by JodysTransmissions JodysTransmissions wrote:

If no noise in 4th. the front bearing could be where the noise is coming from. In 4th there is no side load no the front bearing .

You bring up a good point..........

What are your thoughts if you are buzzing the transmission in 4th gear at 4k like he did in 3rd gear and she is quiet?
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amc67rogue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 1:42pm
Third gear is at the very front of the main shaft where the roller bearings are in the back of the input gear ( main drive gear ). Maby those rollers are where the whine is coming from. ??????????????
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2015 at 1:49pm
Like one of the rollers are missing, they are hard to keep in place when putting the main shaft in!!!
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic