TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sway bars for 67 up Ambassador

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orphancollector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway bars for 67 up Ambassador
    Posted: Oct/21/2014 at 8:59pm
Did AMC install factory rear sway bars on any 67 and up Ambassadors/Rebel/Matadors? If so, are they reasonably available? Were there multiple diameters produced (like the front)? I want to "tighten up" the suspension on my 67 and 70 Ambassadors. If factory units aren't available, are there any aftermarket alternatives other than Addco? I am not a fan of their rear sway bar and mounting method - the bar was not wide enough and they gave you a number of plates, extensions, brackets, u-bolts to "adapt" the bar to the lower control arms. Visually unappealing to me and I had concerns about how they clamped around the lower control arm and the potential to bend and splay the control arm.

Also, how many different diameters of the AMC front sway bar were produced and what is the best method to obtain them? 
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/23/2014 at 9:05am
Yes, they had factory bars. I don't know where you would find one, they were few and far between. You might want to make better mounts for something you can find. The bars from a 74-78 model should fit, but not from the Matador Coupe. You may have to go junkyard hunting to find something from a truck or the few late model large sedans that will be close. The bars can be bent, just don't use heat. Put it in a hydraulic press and bend.  
Frank Swygert
Chisam View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chisam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 12:08am
I put the factory sway bar on my 69 Ambassador, very easy to do and you don't need to make different mounts. The bar bolts to the lower control arm, you do need to put a spacer in the control arm where the bolt goes thru. APD list these bars for 67 to 78 and the parts to bolt the bar on. They also list different control arms if you want to change them. The control arms on my Ambassador had the holes for the sway bar. I hope this helps.  Charlie
1968 AMX 390 4SP
AmeriMan View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AmeriMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 9:02am
My '70 Ambassador had a rear sway bar which I removed before I scrapped the car. PM me if you're interested in it.

larue390@comcast.net
mdh157 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 3:24pm
great idea, a tighter suspension really should do your car good.
'67 Ambassador DPL/3 spd/OD

orphancollector View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orphancollector Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 3:30pm
I hope so.  I'm tired of getting seasick!!
mdh157 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdh157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/24/2014 at 5:38pm
i know, they are a bit soft suspension-wise.  I'm going to make some changes once I buy a car.
'67 Ambassador DPL/3 spd/OD

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic