TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sway Bars for 1966 Rambler Classic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotax21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway Bars for 1966 Rambler Classic
    Posted: Sep/13/2009 at 8:11am
Does anybody know where I can purchase a front and rear sway bar for
a 1966 Rambler Classic 770 Station Wagon with a 232 6cy.

Thanks,
lee
Rebel 327 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel 327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2009 at 8:55pm
There is no rear sway bar.  It should already have a pan hard bar.  You can buy new bushing from American Parts Depot.  The front one is from any 65-66 V-8 car.  Good Luck.
Rebel 327 4-speed
rotax21 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotax21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/13/2009 at 10:33pm

Thanks for the info.

I was told by a Rambler vendor  that a V-8 bar would not fit due to the differances in the oil pans.  Have you used a v-8 bar on a 6 cyl car, or was I given bogus info.
I was told that Addco use to make one for the car.

Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2009 at 11:42am
Pretty sure the advice on the V8 bar not fitting the six is correct. They hung the V8 bar to the rear of the crossmember and the oilpan on the 8 has a provision for clearance. none on the 6.
  If you want to do some fab work you can fit Concord front bars, IIRC farna has one on his.

Anyway you look at it you will have to fab up other bars to work. I'd suspect even a rear bar can be added, just need to find the correct source to clear the angle bars, torque tube, panhard bar and fuel tank, etc, etc;
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Rebel 327 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel 327 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2009 at 7:08pm
According to the service manual,  '65 Ambo's with a 6 cyl. should have a front sway bar.  All 65 & 66 V-8 cars had them.  If the 6 cyl Ambo in 65 had one---there is your source.  Someone with one of these cars can confirm that the service manual is correct.  I am not sure what benefit a rear bar would have over the panhard bar with new bushings.  My '66 Classic V-8 Wagon has air shocks and it handles pretty well for what it is. 
Rebel 327 4-speed
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2009 at 8:44pm
I have an aftermarket rear sway bar that I picked up for an S10 V8 truck I had but I sold the truck. When my Rogue was on the lift, I tried it and it looked as though it would be an easy adaptation. A little looking around might yield something that you can use on the rear with a little mount fabrication. I have a front sway bar and good rear springs and shocks and don't really see the need for the sway bar because it stays flat in corners. I might try the sway bar someday just because I have it.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
rotax21 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotax21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/14/2009 at 9:40pm
Thanks for all the suggestions.
I will take some measurements and see what I can find at my local Pick Your part. 
I just inherited the car after my Dad passed away and am starting on getting the suspension dialed in before I move on to the cosmetics. 
rotax21 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rotax21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2009 at 7:30pm
I havent had a chance to hit the wrecking yard yet,
however I did put new shocks on front and rear.
I put front gas shocks from American Parts Depot and the rears are
Monroe Sensa Trac load adjusting.  What a huge differance.
I still have lots to do, but it is driving much better with the new shocks.

Happy Ramblin.
66FireRamblerW View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 66FireRamblerW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2013 at 1:34pm
Still have the 66 Rambler? I have a 66 Classic 770 Wagon and looking to fix the ride quality myself.

1966 Rambler Classic 770 Wagon CrossCountry - 6cyl with Auto
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Chad - Nashville TN
vinny View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2013 at 7:19pm

A 66 Ambassador with a 232 definitely comes with a sway bar. I know this because I removed one, including the engine. 

Bolts right in to a 64 Classic with 232, however, I did need to shim about 3/16. I don't have a 64 232 cross member so not sure of the correct engine height. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic