TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sway Bar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybobby339 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sway Bar
    Posted: Aug/21/2018 at 6:37pm
I am installing a sway bar from a 1980 Concord onto my 1974 Hornet. Do i have to remove the Pitman Arm or Idler Arm or both or is there a way to do it with the steering linkage intact. Any help or tips is appreciated. Thanks
klvn8r View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klvn8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2018 at 12:37pm
I recently pulled the one off of my Javelin, which should be nearly the same.....and I removed the pitman arm from the steering box, and it wasn't much trouble at all.

Incidently, would you check the diameter of your bar?  I have one that is over 1"....but is a bit narrower than my Javelin bar.  I'm guessing its from my V8 Hornet??

klvn8r

jaybobby339 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybobby339 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2018 at 2:01pm
Thanks. I was hoping there was a way to get it in without messing with the ateering but it didnt look that way. Thr bar i have from the Concord is 7/8". Both cars are 6 cylinders. My hornet didnt come with a bar.
343sharpstick View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 343sharpstick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2018 at 3:02pm
On my Javelin I was able to change out my anti-sway bar without removing any of the steering.
I do recall that I first I had the car jacked up pretty high, followed by some expletives, bar twisting, and long periods of puzzled expressions.
I did eventually get it in, but it certainly wasn't as simple as I expected when I started the job.
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2018 at 3:19pm
I did it as well on my 73, and have no clue to pre 70 clearances.

What I did was drop the idler arm at the passenger side, and shifted the steering linkage to allow the loose sway bar to be turned and pivoted out from under the car.

Yes the front needs to be lifted to allow arms to fully drop once the control arm has been disconnected.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic