TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain > Eagle and Jeep Specific drive-train issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Swapping the 2.35 carrier

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Swapping the 2.35 carrier
    Posted: Jul/01/2016 at 11:06pm
Hey guys. I'm starting to finish up my front end and I have a few questions regarding carriers. My 83 Eagle shipped with a Dana 30-2.72Disco and Model 35-2.72 axles. I have a clone of my front axle but I also have a rare half year 85 Dana 30 with the 2.35 set. According to Dana that year was additionally optioned with 2.72 and 3.07 sets but the 2.35 sets are in an exclusive carrier to the 80/81/82.5Disco sets. Clearly this means there is something different about the casting itself. What is it and what parts kits do I need?

Factory 2.72Disco reads:
2.72 49-18

Option 2.35 reads:
2.35 47-20

Suggestions?
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/01/2016 at 11:56pm
hi, the 2:35 is not that rare, both my Eagles have it, I will go out on a limb and say that MOST Eagles have it. IN the Eagle world, this is the ratio that most guys are trying to get RID of! Yes, it is a unique case, and afaik, NOTHING else will swap into it. Stick with your 2:72. Personally, I don't mind my 2:35s, the car is no dragster!, but has nice long legs on the highway.. If you want 2:35, check the Eaglesden, or any local salvage yards. good luck, gz
george z
DaemonForce View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/02/2016 at 12:53am
Are you kidding? I'm in the Northwest. The 2.35 set is rare seeing how Eagles populate the Portland yard once every other season and it's usually picked clean after the 3rd day. I didn't pick this axle with the intention of using the 2.35 set, my intention is to use the carrier for my 2.72 set. I have issues with my disconnect axle that would make life easier if I were to just get rid of it entirely but I like my 2.72 set. It would be nice to swap a 3.31 set but nobody has it anymore.
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2016 at 1:57pm
sorry, not quite sure what it is you are after, bad carrier? anyway, good luck, gz
george z
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2016 at 12:27am
It's a lot of things. One or more vacuum actuators are seized and clearance issues have made me drop complete interest in the 2WD/4WD shifting mechanism at the axle. I'd rather it stay locked full time and ultimately decide the 2WD/4WD from the transfer case assembly only. It's rough but necessary with what I intend. I have a donor non-disconnect axle from an 85 Eagle but it was outfitted with 2.35 gears. I've disassembled the case but am unable to remove the pinion.
amcfool1 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amcfool1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2016 at 12:51am
hi, there is an easy fix for this, just disconnect the, ahem, disconnect front shift motor, ie pull all vac. lines from it, and put a small hose clamp on the inside of the housing so fork can't move. presto/chango, you have a "shift on the fly" system, basically what AMC did after 84. now only the TC case is used to go into/out of 4wdr. good luck, gz
george z
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/04/2016 at 1:09am
It's not so easy because that axle is damaged. I have a clone of the axle but it's been sitting in the rain for years and I really don't want to go through that all for an axle. It was easier to pull a no-disconnect axle from a parts wagon.
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/05/2016 at 2:47am
So, I've torn into the axle and removed my drift pin, center pin, axles and carrier in that order. I'm trying to remove the pinion but it physically interferes with the back end casting of a bearing journal. How was this pinion fitted into this enclosure? It wasn't forged and inserted while the case was being cast and I don't see any weld lines anywhere on the case so what's going on? Is there a piece in the back or something holding this in line? Ouch

GREAT looking axle:

Carrier looks amazing and I hope it isn't a break but I'm not worried because of my other axles.

This is where I run into a problem. I'm not as worried as I should be about the pitting on the RH bearing journal since the bearing itself looks fine but this pinion gear is so large that it cannot physically clear the other journal. I've unbolted the yolk, so I know this should just slide out. Something is fishy here. Is there more work involved here? Was the initial assembly of this such a tight fit that all the fitting was done in one step? Also, I'm not sure what kind of information is scrawled on the face of the pinion but there's similar going on inside my 2.72 axle. Any ideas what it's trying to tell me?

What is the best course of action at this point? I'm kind of out of ideas. Ermm
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaemonForce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/07/2016 at 12:11pm
So I finally got the pinion out of the case last night. I took the advice of a Jeeper and added a few strong taps with a mallet to break it free. There was some warpage going on with the inner seal and a shim came loose but the only big deal was the gigantic pinion finally coming out. Look at this beast.

Someone explain to me how this gear set is a good idea? LOL

I have some cleanup to do.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic