TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Suspension needs for new owner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vierski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suspension needs for new owner
    Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 3:56pm
Thanks for letting me in the forum. I just bought a 1964 Classic 660 with 53,000 miles. Nice ride, but a bit soft. The guy at the garage has suggested a Sway Bar Kit and some stiffer springs. I like the idea, but can't find the parts through normal Google searches.

Does anyone in the group have some suggestion for sources and/or ideas on firming up the suspension and steering a bit. 

I love the car. Has the 192 6-cyl and a three on the tree with overdrive.
FSJunkie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSJunkie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 7:05pm
Six cylinder cars usually did not have a front sway bar and that is likely why you don't like how soft the ride currently is.

I find that combining a stiff front sway bar with soft springs and shocks makes for a nice suspension. The soft springs and shocks give a nice ride but the stiff sway bar keeps the car level in turns and maintains responsive handling. Or, instead of a stiff front sway bar you could go with a softer front sway bar used in conjunction with a softer rear sway bar. That way both ends of the car have a sway bar and that helps to reduce understeer. 

Just get some sway bars on it and I think you'll be happy. 
1955 Packard
1966 Marlin
1972 Wagoneer
1973 Ambassador
1977 Hornet
1982 Concord D/L
1984 Eagle Limited
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/15/2018 at 11:30pm
you might simply get a set of replacement springs, but a progressive rate.  it's an early 1960's car! it was designed era or driving style, and different roads. or if they're not too bad, drive it for a while and see if you can adapt to it. you got an old car, it has old car virtues!

i suggest this cuz oi drove a '63 Classic wagon, with a 232 and auto, for 20 years. i had slightly stiffer (non-progressive) and 1" taller springs and otherwise completely stock -- and no sway bars. it didn't take long to get used to, and it ended up changing how i thought of cars.

the upside of that design is that it's hugely compliant, with loooong travel. i could literally drive over curbs (slowly, very slowly). the body lean in and of itself isn't harmful, though it feels funny if you're used to new cars. yeah, it ain't no sports car, tons of understeer.

but soft isn't sloppy or broken (unless something is broken of course :-).

i wouldn't "over-shock" it either. i know it's popular to put stiffer shocks in order cars, but shocks dont make cars handle better or change spring rate. their only job is to damp impulse energy and rebound. when i wheel dips into a pothole or goes over a bump, it's the SPRING that absorbs the energy. the shocks just prevent the spring from bouncing up and down. ideally it stops after one half a cycle. a too-stiff shock transmits that impulse right into the chassis, like a smack in the butt, it feels bad. quality stock shocks are the right way.

try getting used to it first! my 63 classic wagon rode just great, but it was nothing like say my 2004 Scion xB, or my canyon car American. it iwll seem soft and squishy but with all good suspension parts it's a very nicely designed car -- for a world that doesn't exist any more.

isn't that what you wanted? lol.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/18/2018 at 7:11am
Finding a sway bar for a 63-66 big car is tough. Few sixes had them, only came on the V-8 models. The factory bar mounts to the rear, runs between engine and trans. You can get a V-8 bar and mount it to the six cylinder car, might have to drill holes for brackets but IIRC they are there. A front mount bar can be  adapted, I have a 79 Spirit bar on mine, but you have to bend the outer arms of the bar in a hydraulic press (NO HEAT!!).

The design of the AMC front suspension (springs directly over upper pivot) makes it very roll resistant. That's why no bar was originally used in six cylinder cars. Cars were spring really soft prior to the mid to late 60s because rural road conditions weren't up to what they are today and there were few high speed roads (interstates still under construction).

You will notice a stiffer spring way before you notice a sway bar. You can order springs from www.coilsprings.com. I recommend 12% stiffer than stock in front, if you order rear springs only 10% stiffer. I have 10% stiffer in mine now, have used 12% in other cars... and wish I'd have got the 12%. Went lower because I'd installed the sway bar.

12% seems to be the best compromise between ride and handling. Won't lean very much, stiffens ride just enough you can tell but without jarring you. The factory HD springs are 18-20% stiffer than stock -- they ride like a pickup truck! I only notice the sway bar in the most extreme circumstances. Until then you can't tell a difference with it. The stiffer springs are noticeable all the time and the better investment.
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic