TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > AMC V8 Engine Repair and Modifications
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Supercharged 401 build w/pics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2016 at 8:51pm
A few more pics

Gizmo456 View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gizmo456 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/21/2016 at 11:19pm
OMG! Can't wait to see this thing running!
stickshifter View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2016 at 7:06am
Driving the supercharger with a stock balancer is not a great idea IMHO.  That is more of an issue than just the 6K engine speed.
   7.03 @ 196 mph
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2016 at 8:49am
I have to agree, there's a lot more to it than just rpm.  I had a stock one start to fail on my turbocharged motor and luckily caught it in time.  I think Jon B failed one in short order on his supercharged 360 as well.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2016 at 9:12am
I keep hearing replace the balancer. I am not disagreeing with anyone but trying to understand more of the logic as to why if high RPM is not the goal. Fortunately the motor was balanced with the externally weighted balancer so I can swap it out without issue. I have been looking at the Romac and will likely be ordering it but I still would like better explanation from someone who knows. Has anyone ever seen a 401 balancer fail? I have been unable to find and instance of it in my searching and have never heard of any of my AMC friends having problems with the stock 401 balancer. I have heard of plenty of 360 issues with a balancer but not the 401. Please share some details.
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2016 at 10:19am
The torque applied to the crank isn't constant, you get a piston firing (hopefully) every 90 degrees.  The crank is going through a rapid series of positive and negative accelerations during all operation.  The damper's job is to try and take some of the nasty harmonics out of the equation.  If you make more rpm you're increasing the frequency of the pulses which can be hard on the damper.  Increasing the power without increasing the rpm makes those pulses more intense which is also hard on the damper.  Mine tried to slip the outer ring off the hub.  Same damper was fine for years with less power but more rpm before I switched to the turbo.
1975 Cherokee S - Turbo Hemi stick shift autocross/drag race/street 9.97 @ 140.4
shootist View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shootist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2016 at 10:45am
I gotcha. So the violence of acceleration of the hub and the outer weight. Typical objects in motion objects at rest scenario. For the life of me, after I looked closely at this balancer it appeared to be one piece rather than the typical outer weight and inner hub style. I will have to look more closely at it today as my initial resistance was because I thought it to be one-piece. (I think the fact that the unit was drilled for balance catered to that initial thought). This makes perfect sense now and I appreciate the feedback. However, if there were a one-piece harmonic balancer that would be amazing as you would eliminate the possibility of slipping or separating.
ghinmi View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghinmi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2016 at 11:14am
A one piece damper wouldn't really do the job.  The factory elastomer between the two pieces acts kind of like a spring between the outer ring and inner hub which reduces the crank harmonics.  Without the rubber it would be just a flywheel.
401Ambo View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401Ambo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2016 at 8:47pm
So what brand dampers do you recommend?
'72 401 Ambassador wagon
'69 pro-Street AMX
AMX/2 (starting soon)
stickshifter View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stickshifter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/22/2016 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by 401Ambo 401Ambo wrote:

So what brand dampers do you recommend?

ATI

Smile
   7.03 @ 196 mph
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic