TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Tool Time tool review and eval area
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Summit Engine run test stand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Summit Engine run test stand
    Posted: Sep/06/2016 at 5:59pm
Summit now offers a engine run test stand ($499). The rear bell housing mount holes on the stand may be only for Chevy or Ford. Summit testimonials indicate Mopar holes need to be drilled; I don't know about AMC. Fuel cell, radiator, gauges, start button, engine brackets not included. Anyone have experience with this engine run test stand?

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Sep/06/2016 at 6:05pm
Questions are powerful tools...what's in your toolbox?
6768rogues View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 6768rogues Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2016 at 6:44pm
I am sure they tested it, but it sure looks tall and skinny with a high center of gravity.
Content intended for mature audiences. If you experience nausea or diarrhea, stop reading and seek medical attention.

Located usually near Rochester, NY and sometimes central FL.
pit crew View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pit crew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/06/2016 at 8:03pm
X2. Seems too high. You would have a ball with an engine hoist trying to get the motor on and off the engine stand.

73 Hornet - 401EFI - THM400 - Twin Grip 20
AMXFSTBK390 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 1:03am
Thanks for the comments. It appears the legs supporting the BH, engine, and radiator could be or should be shortened 8-10 inches without any complications, and still allow room for the battery and fuel cell.
Wrambler View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wrambler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 10:00am
Now all we need is the dimensions to adjust from.

I've got a whole pile of 1.5x3" tube just begging to be welded into something!
That would be a good use for it. 
Wrambler
69 AMC Rambler
4.0L, 5 speed
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited
2019 Chrysler 300
Rebel Machine View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rebel Machine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 1:25pm
That's what I did 20 years ago. Used some square tubing from an exercise machine and a Rebel engine cradle to make one. The rear mount is a plate riding on an engine mount. Later I added brackets for mounting a radiator.

I still use it today.

SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 2:51pm
If U look at the screw, that connects the spindles to the Engine Mounts..
No Struts at the rear where you mount the engine ..
All Made of 100%Chinesium...

And a big *Moron Thumb Up* for the Guy who set up the Teststand and the engine... for the Pictures

Smart Idea to route he the Fuelline right throught the Area there the open headers end.. Clap

Same Thumb to the Constructor,
who placed the Battery right unter the lower Radiatorhose...
Batterys dig coolant fluid, when you dismount the engines coollant lines LOL

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/07/2016 at 10:35pm
digger-Posted another pic of an LS engine on the same test stand. The temporary fuel line is better positioned for the photo shoot. Also, the average mechanic would know to take a minute to remove the battery before draining the coolant. German humor? LOL. The reason I asked about this inexpensive engine test stand are three-fold: be able to break-in an engine, testing (leaks, oil pressure, water temp), and some assembly....pulleys, belts, exhaust, starter. There are several similar test stands on eBay that are this height and width, and mention a 40" operating height in the description....at two to three times the price!
SirDigger View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SirDigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/08/2016 at 1:50am
German humor?   Never heard about.... we´re efficent and safe...

So removing the Battery every time is uneffiecent,
and the Fuel Cell right under the Fan is unsafe too..
somebody will probably fill it up while the engine is running...

If you wanna safe, weld your own stand, grab some Gauges/Ignitionswitch/ radiator
from the Picka part, and build it solid.
And add a big pan under it to chatch spills, while the Battery and Fuelcell should be moveed to the Front. 

If i look at this maybe 3/8" at the engine Mounts screws...
and know the "stability" of Chinesium..
I wont trust this stand an new build eingine..
if it Drops, you havent saved a Cent. 

SirDigger&his german Friends are looking for Parts http://theamcforum.com/forum/the-german-amc-forum-ambassadorsirdigger-needs_topic83570.html
1970 Javelin SST 304
1970 Javelin SST 360
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMXFSTBK390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/10/2016 at 4:50pm
Originally posted by SirDigger SirDigger wrote:

German humor?   Never heard about.... we´re efficent and safe...

My brother who has lived in Germany for over 35 years, and speaks, thinks the German language in several dialects, got back to me about German humor. He explained German humor uses seriousness as a source of humor. Example: "80% of all Austrians are happy with their neighbors. The other 20% live on the German border."

As far as your statement....."we're efficient and safe..." The VW scandal for illegal emissions cheating device installed on VW diesel cars was criminal and spewing higher emissions on the road, is not environmentally friendly. I would not call it efficient when it cost VW ~$14.7 BILLION in repairs, buying back or fixing vehicles, and pay each owner up to $10,000. Some analysts have estimates the scandal "dieselgate" could cost VW $30 BILLION or more. VW can now claim the title of "Leader of Diesel Incompetence."

Your comment: "and know the "stability" of Chinesium..
I wont trust this stand an new build eingine..
if it Drops, you havent saved a Cent."

Did you know the BMW 3 series, 5 series, and X1 series are made in China. Also, Bosch parts are made in China but are stamped Made in Germany. Let's not forget the STIHL products made in Qingdao, China.

Edited by AMXFSTBK390 - Sep/10/2016 at 4:53pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic