TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Suggested grease for '59 rear end

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Suggested grease for '59 rear end
    Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 4:29pm
Is the standard heavier weight grease okay to use in my '59 Super 6's rear end?  I have the cover off, draining the old stuff and would also like to pull the axle shafts to repack the bearings while the drive works are getting new lubricant.
Thanks!
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/20/2018 at 4:45pm
Thought you were talking gear oil for a moment, LOL.  My bad.

Yeah, the newer synthetic greases should work fine for packing bearings and hold up better over time also.  Unless there's something weird I don't know about AMCs anyway.  Any time I did brakes as a tech, I repacked the bearings with the high grade synthetic stuff.

EDIT: If I'm wrong, I'm sure somebody will be along to correct me SOON, LOL.  :D
IowaTom View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IowaTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 6:38am
Sorry, I guess I did mean gear oil for the differential.  I've had some GL-1 sitting on a shelf for several years, some of which I used in this vintage and older Danas.  Was once told dino oils have a shelf life and thinking this stuff was opened 8 to 10 years ago, maybe I should add it to my recycle jug..?

I use synthetic grease for packing bearings and find it's super durable.
rms827 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rms827 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/21/2018 at 7:05am
Yeah, GL-1 is almost obsolete...  Recycle it.

If your car's rear end is a normal type, I'd use 80w90 GL4 oil.  If you've got any kind of "limited slip" rear end, go for a GL5 rated oil that's a little heavier than that.

It takes a long time for oil to break down, but even without that, the new stuff is formulated much better and has better additive packages too.

Here's a link to the API's (American Petroleum Institute's) page on gear oil classifications:

https://www.oilspecifications.org/api_gos.php
1964 AMC Rambler Classic 660

"You can think I'm an idiot, just don't talk to me like I'm one." - Batman
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic