TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Sub frame connectors - overkill?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigBlockDaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2017 at 4:46pm
I would definitely add subframe connectors and I would make them myself.
A friend of mine had a gremlin with a 4 speed which he would launch at every opportunity. At the end of 1 summer, he couldn't close the doors any more from the car being "twisted" so hard..
I'm putting 295/50s in my Hornet and will be doing some drag racing with it so frame connectors are just easy and cheap piece of mind..
fasttony View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fasttony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2017 at 5:32pm
 I have been considering sub-frame connectors also added strength is a good thing, I am in the middle of restoring my Javelin so this would be the time to add connectors. It seems AMC learned about sub-frame strength as they were building cars, the lower right front sub-frame in light green primer is an early 68' Javelin my sheet metal donor, the picture in gray primer is my 70 lower right front section, it looks like the 70 has an added 1/8" thick plate on the inside vertical wall and the lower rear section of the 70 sub-frame is made of 1/8" steel where the 68 is .075" that's quite a bit of extra strength, the added steel happened sometime between the start of building Javelins and first quarter of 70. My 68 sheet metal donor is so early AMC had to hammer the rear trunk floor on both sides to get it on the line.

Tony

Edited by fasttony - Mar/23/2017 at 5:35pm
Lyle View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2017 at 8:41pm
My 69 has sub frame connectors from who knows when. It's a 00 car that I had to get the VIN code registered for it as it was not in the system. The differential had twisted off the rear springs more then once, driveshaft had let go and transmission casing pieces were in the rockers. I cut the old connectors off and put in new 1" x 2" rectangular tubing that was originally there after straightening the body on a rotisserie upside-down.
That stated the car had much abuse in early life and was not off straight by more then 1/8". So yes I think under some circumstances they are probably a good idea. Just depends on what you are planning.   
Rampar View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Rampar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2017 at 10:23pm
I Have a 66 American with full poly suspension & manual steering. Keep in mind this car is a weekend warrior Health V8 and soon to be mini tubed. but let me tell you I've drove this car as my daily for about a month or two so i had a feel for how she drove and the improvement from Some 2x3 1/8th wall from sub frame to sub frame with some fish plates it was like a new car. That corner coming off the freeway car feels so much more stable and responsive, not to mention the traction differences. plus i have less than $75 in mine  
1966 Rampar American
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2017 at 5:34am
If you're driving the car hard, road or track, you will definitely benefit from "subframe" connectors.  Early to mid 60s and 70s unit bodies aren't as stiff as the 50s (and very early 609s AMC) unit bodies, or newer ones (from what, mid 80s on?). If you plan on driving the car daily connectors wouldn't be a bad idea -- can only make the body hold up longer and better even under normal driving. Today's "normal" is harder than 1950 and 60s "normal" in most cases.

The "frames" of a unit body like this are actually called sills - the common subframes comes from GM cars that actually used separate subframes, mostly in front,not sills which are integral with the body. I know on some of the mid sized cars (mid 60s Chevelle and derivatives)  they used very light rails tying the heavier frame ends together. For racing heavier connectors were welded in
Frank Swygert
BDCVG View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BDCVG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/24/2017 at 7:06am
In the mid 80's I put a mild 360 in My Spirit GT. By the late 80's it was cracking at the windshield pillars . Go for the cheap insurance and get the connectors.
1970 AMX 390 5 spd full Control Freaks front and rear suspension
2014 E63 AMG-S wagon
1965 Austin-Healey 3000 MK III              
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic