TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Transmission & Drivetrain
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Studebaker and AMC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StudebakerJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Studebaker and AMC
    Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 8:07pm
Hey guys have a question for you all.

Just out of curiosity did any of the AMC transmission have Studebaker-Packard Corp on the data plate?

I have a 63 Avanti with automatic trans.  The data plate states S/P Corp. but the model number is scratched out and no one seems to know what I have for a transmission.  I might have a BW-8 not sure.  Can anyone shed some light on this?
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 8:15pm
The Borg Warner Model 8 was used by Rambler (AMC), Studebaker, Packard and probably others.
StudebakerJim View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StudebakerJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 8:18pm
Yes, but would the data plate state "Studebaker-Packard Corp" on a transmission used in a Rambler?
70 Donohue 390 View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 70 Donohue 390 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 9:17pm
Hear ya Go.  Thanks to Frank (Farna)  for answering a couple questions I also had.

http://theamcforum.com/forum/ford-borgwarner-transmission-similarities_topic12021.html

67 Rogue 290 Convert

70 BBO 390 5 Speed Javelin-under construction
PlazinJavelin View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PlazinJavelin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 9:28pm
Though I'll probably never find it again, I saw a picture of a B/W transmission with an American Motors plate added on just this past week somewhere on this site. Studebaker could have added their own plate too.

Borg Warner was it's own company and as WesternRed said, they sold transmissions to several different manufactures. You should grab some photos of your tranny and start comparing them to pictures and models on the internet. A match is bound to show up.

I did a quick search and your can find plenty of information like this site about the Avanti transmissions.

tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 9:38pm
Nash, Hudson, American Motors, etc, never had any business relationship with Studebaker that i've ever heard of. they were competitors more or less. but as others point out, Borg Warner made "standardized" transmissions that are completely, mostly, or partially interchangeable. and given all the years then til now any old thing could have been done to it at a repair shop or by the owner. 

There were many suppliers in common to all makes, especially the smaller ones. and Nash/Rambler/AMC used a lot of Ford (autolite) parts, and later, some GM parts like steering columns. and other parts like wipers, brakes, electrical stuff, radiators, other common items were sort-of "commodity" parts. Melling made a lot of oil pumps -- i was surprised to find that Summit Racing actually lists the Melling oil pump for the old 195.6 six! special order (what a surprise :-)

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

StudebakerJim View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote StudebakerJim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 9:59pm
Well from what I've seen so far my transmission never existed in the world of Studebaker.  This one looks like a 3-speed small case (FMX-FX) but with the vacuum modulator that is on it, Studebaker didn't have such a beast.  They had a Flight o matic that was used in trucks with a vacuum modulator BUT it had some other features that mine doesn't have.  Mine is set up with vacuum and the manual throttle pressure linkage Rod.  I have asked some of the best in the club and they have no idea. 
uncljohn View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncljohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2016 at 11:19pm
Here us some information on automatic transmissions used in 1963 Studebakers. Of interest is a reference to an identification plate attached to the transmission.
As referenced the BorgWarner or similar transmissions were used in a number of American cars, Rambler for one, Kaiser/Frasier for others and any number of European vehicles. Whether one could be unbolted from say a Sunbeam Alpine and bolted into a Rambler or Jaguar or Studebaker would depend on a number of things, but mostly where the holes were drilled to bolt the things in with.

Transmission information

Here is some additional information

More Borg warner 35 info

Edited by uncljohn - Oct/27/2016 at 11:25pm
70 390 5spd Donohue
74 Hornet In restoration
76 Hornet, 5.7L Mercury Marine Power
80 Fuel Injected I6 Spirit
74 232 I-6, 4bbl, 270HL Isky Cam
WesternRed View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WesternRed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2016 at 2:41am
Few good images here, could possibly be BW Detroit Gear trans:

http://theamcforum.com/forum/borg-warner-m12-for-performance_topic41345_page2.html
401MATCOUPE View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 401MATCOUPE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2016 at 5:42am
As several have said here the Borg Warner Corporation made trans for whom ever wanted to but it, then tailored the case and lengths to fit the buyers requirements.  All 1963/1964 Avanti's (yes I own 2 of them, 1@1963 and 1@1964) have 3 transmission choices.  1. 3 Speed Manual Borg Warner, non-syncronized first gear, I am not positive of the model but believe it is a T-86  2. T-10 Borg Warner 4 speed, had 2.54 first gear ratio, front case is unique to Studebaker Only, looks similar to AMC and Ford, but will not bolt up and input shaft is different.  3. Automatic, is a Borg Warner AS2-10, is has a 2.40 first gear ratio.  Many of the internals are the exact same as a AMC M11/M-12 Borg Warner.  The Pan Gasket is the same....the biggest difference in the Avanti AS2-10 is the Valve Body, it is a 2nd gear start trans, when car is in drive.  1st gear is only through manual selection OR if someone has transplanted a AMC Valve Body into it, which will give you the first gear start.  Here is a picture of what you data plate should look like:

NOTE: The same AS2-10 was used into the Avanti 2 production, adapter to fit the SB Chevy, my 1970 Avanti 2 had a AS2 also....they were just using up inventory, later changed to Turbo 400.

Hope this helps you.

Edited by 401MATCOUPE - Oct/28/2016 at 5:45am
Ross K. Peterson
68X,GoPac,343,AT,52A(1stCar)
68X,GoPac,390,4sp,52A
69X,GoPac,390,4sp,64A
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,87A,8
70X,GoPac,390,4sp,BBO,8
70 Jav SST,390,AT,BSO
74MatX,401,AT,Prototype
74MatX,401,AT
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>