TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Strut Rod FIX

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/03/2017 at 10:20pm
i ran the half poly/half rubber in my 63 classic, i'm not convinced you could really tell the difference from all rubber. i'm sure if you could compare bumps side by side you could tell; but except when striking an obstacle it's not really in play. delrin is harder than poly, but suspect it won't be objectionable. likely worth a try.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

Greyhounds_AMX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 1:15pm
Opentracker advised that the step in their Delrin bushing for the Mustang is 1-7/16", so all we'd have to do is reduce that slightly to get it to fit in out 1-3/8" strut rod bracket hole. 

I've ordered a set.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
304-dude View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 304-dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Greyhounds_AMX Greyhounds_AMX wrote:

Opentracker advised that the step in their Delrin bushing for the Mustang is 1-7/16", so all we'd have to do is reduce that slightly to get it to fit in out 1-3/8" strut rod bracket hole. 

I've ordered a set.

I bet it may just be a snug fit. Won't know until you give the Delrin fit a try.

Mine actually has the Delrin fully encapsulated by the poly bushing, though at the bracket edge by only .5mm of poly bushing. Really that delrin does not take a load as one would expect. As long as the pivot is free. My concern is the lack of free movement in the travel, so that the poly bushing has little effect on stiffness, other than how tight the compression is and friction. I removed a lot of stiffness by Teflon washer between the poly bushing and steel washer. Since theirs is spherical in design, just a wee bit of grease to lube before assembly should be simular in feel with how the strut moves by hand.

Would like better images just to see how the ball and cup fit. The kit seems well worth the $100. My back yard mod falls near $60, but it is not as spherical as I expected, but the rigid Teflon does help make up for equalisation of pressure on the surface of the washer.

As for the kit, them spherical washers are thick... I bet they could be machined down a bit to allow more adjustment with the rods you have. Though it would have to be lathe work to cut a fluid arc to keep its even thickness.
71 Javelin SST body
390 69 crank, 70 block & heads
NASCAR SB2 rods & pistons
78 Jeep TH400 w/ 2.76 Low
50/50 Ford-AMC Suspension
79 F150 rear & 8.8 axles
Ford Racing 3.25 gears & 9" /w Detroit locker
tomj View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tomj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/08/2017 at 9:12pm
oh i assume everything has to be modified to fit, it's 2017, nothing fits! :-) i 'chucked' a poly bushing in my mill-drill by simply jamming it onto a big mill bit, and using some sharp tool manually removing material like it was a vertical lathe. went slow, it worked out great. YMMV.

1960 Rambler Super two-door wagon, OHV auto
1961 Roadster American, 195.6 OHV, T5
http://www.ramblerLore.com

XRX744 View Drop Down
AMC Nut
AMC Nut

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote XRX744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 11:48am
Greyhounds_AMX did you ever get the Opentracker set up installed?

69 AMX, pro touring /track car, TEAM tribute, aka: "The Kenosha Corncob"
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/17/2018 at 10:15pm
Not yet - I'm saving that for this winter.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
klvn8r View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klvn8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug/22/2018 at 5:21pm
Great topic!  Good seeing some out-of-the ordinary tech and solutions!

klvn8r
rogue69 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogue69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2018 at 6:39pm
Which set did you end up going with? Early or later model? Thanks,

Tim
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greyhounds_AMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/18/2018 at 9:38pm
Gosh i didnt know there were multiple choices available. I was emailing back and forth with John at Opentracker so I suppose maybe he knew what I was needing.
1968 AMX 390 w/T5
rogue69 View Drop Down
AMC Fan
AMC Fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogue69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/19/2018 at 11:05am
Thanks. They seem to be on vacation until October, so I'll check with them when they get back. Did you get around to installing them? I put the prothane bushings in, but always looking for a new task and parts to install!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
  Share Topic