TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

strut rod bushings-Corvair?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: strut rod bushings-Corvair?
    Posted: Jan/27/2015 at 12:01am
Did a search and didn't see it mentioned so maybe it's worth mentioning.

years ago on one of the projects, I think I remember one of the parts guys at NAPA that took an interest suggested a improved MOOG Corvair 2 piece strut rod bushing. It may be what's on our 67 Rogue now. It looks like the RockAuto pic of MOOG K6094 for a 67 Corvair. The inside dia. is the same at .695.  But I wonder if it's wider so there is less adjustment on the strut.

Anybody ever hear of this?

Here's a pic:

carnuck View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carnuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/27/2015 at 12:35am
Napa's buyers guide for NCP 2749026 shows applications of '60-67 Corvair and '62 to '67 Chevy II (aka shakey too)

Bushing ID of .84 and OD of 2.24 (is that for the hole through the bracket?)

$19.35 a pair

The AMC replacement for my Eagle is NCP 2749054 .88 ID and 2.48 OD and fits every AMC car since 1970

$21.60 per side.

farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2015 at 11:15am
The late model AMC bushing will work for the earlier cars with adjustable strut rods too. I have that one on my 63 Classic, with modified strut rods so I can use two piece bushings. Adjustable strut rods start about 67.
Frank Swygert
Rogue401 View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rogue401 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/31/2015 at 2:41pm
THe strut on our 67 is adjustable and is .69 dia. The 67 corvair on rock auto was .695. The Corvair kit shows heavy steel sleeve and heavy thick conical washers likw what I have on the car now. I usually by two of everything, so maybe I can find another set. I would love to design another strut/lower control arm that eliminated the bind and opened up room around the strut rod bracket.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/01/2015 at 9:14am
There have been people who used a heim joint at the body end of the strut rod, but that's not real good for a street car -- the joint doesn't cushion blows from pot holes and wears when exposed to dirt. Okay for a show or race car, not for a regularly driven car. To do something like the strut rod eliminators for a Mustang II would require a new, stronger crossmember. 
Frank Swygert
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic