TheAMCForum.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > The Garage > Suspension, Steering, Brakes & Wheels
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Click for TheAMCForum Rules / Click for PDF version of Forum Rules
Your donations help keep this valuable resource free and growing. Thank you.

Strut Rod Bushing Help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hffej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strut Rod Bushing Help
    Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 1:29pm
Less than 200 miles ago i replaced both the front strut rod bushings on my 69 AMX.  I noticed that the rubber was split on both of them when I was bleeding the front brakes after a master cylinder replacement.  The front end was rebuilt about 8-9 years ago when the car was restored and new bushings where installed then(about three thousands miles ago).  I ordered the one piece type from APD last month and replaced them.  I torqued both of them to the torque spec I got out of the TSM.  Since then I have driven the car once when I took it to Musclepalooza, about two hundred miles.  I have since seen the posting that billd put up on the proper  positioning of the washers on either side of the bushing.  I had put them back the original way as shown in the TSM.  Yesterday I looked at them figuring at some point i would change the direction of the front washer based on the new information.  I was quite surprised when I found the left front bushing split badly on the back side (see attached pics).  I did not move the front nut on either rod so as not the effect the alignment, and driving it with the new bushings it still tracks straight.  The only other thing i noticed when I replaced them was the brackets the bushings go through were not tight to the frame, especially the left front one.  I tightened those before i put in the new bushings.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Jeff
69 BBB AMX   69 BBO Javelin

kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 2:12pm
I've had the same problem with parts store bushings recently, and have put the 'improved design' on two cars this year and been happy with them. They use an integral washer and look a little different than the others. I've got several thousand miles on these bushings in the two cars I have them on and have not had any issues.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suspension-Strut-Rod-Bushing-Premium-Steering-Front-fits-65-73-Ambassador-/182540743462?epid=216131048&hash=item2a8046b326:g:7j8AAOSwZElZpTVU&vxp=mtr
AMO Newsletter Editor
SportaboutX View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportaboutX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 2:28pm
I have the improved ones on all 4 cars. 2 of the sets have been on the cars since the 1990s when they first came out (originally they were sold as only a Ford part as far as fitment). No issues at all with any of them.

They are quickly selling out of stock as they are older USA made. O'reilly still sells them for $24.99 however, you have to be careful because sometimes they will ship the old stock Moog USA improved design, and sometimes they will ship the china junk newer ones. And they aren't listed for AMC at all. I bought a ton of them when I found out they were old USA Moog improved design in the master pro boxes. Returned the ones that weren't the improved design. Kept a spare set or 2 and gave the rest away to AMC buddies for use as spares.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/masterpro-chassis-4347/suspension---steering-16778/chassis-16549/strut-rod-bushing-kit-12656/strut-rod-bushing-kit/k3090/4499961/1971/american-motors/gremlin

Edited by SportaboutX - Sep/20/2017 at 2:32pm
hffej View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hffej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 2:51pm
These will fit a 69 AMX?   Also how do I tell if the are USA or Chinese manufacturers?   

Ollie View Drop Down
AMC Addicted
AMC Addicted

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ollie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 5:44pm
I had the same rubber issues you have. I use NAPA single piece bushings.

It might be wrong but I turned my washers around (cup holding the rubber) No problems as of yet.

Just my opinion.

Having AMC Fun,
Ollie
1966 American Convertible -- "The Rambler"..SOLD
1974 Postal Jeep -- "Rapid Delivery"...SOLD
1969 Rambler 220 post car--"Road Warrior"
1989 Jeep Comanche Pioneer, 4.0L, auto, 2wd
george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 6:08pm
Try to find the Moog two piece bushings with the integral cup washers. I too had splitting problems with the more recent one piece bushings not to mention what a PITA it is to remove and install them
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
hffej View Drop Down
AMC Apprentice
AMC Apprentice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hffej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 7:15pm
I appreciate the input. I still can't believe they're coming apart after less than 200 miles.   Does anyone have the MOOG part #? I can't find it on their online parts book.   And your right, they are a major PITA to change. Especially without a lift.

george w View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote george w Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/20/2017 at 7:55pm
Moog K3091. Obsolete, but these turn up on eBay from time to time
Long time AMC fan. Ambassador 343, AMX 390, Hornet 360, Spirit 304 and Javelin 390. All but javelin bought new.
farna View Drop Down
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Supporter of TheAMCForum
Moderator Lost Dealership Project

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2017 at 11:48am
I've never had any luck with the one-piece bushings. I think they are all old stock -- no telling how old. I converted my 63 Classic to use two piece bushings and am sure glad I did! 
Frank Swygert
kirkwood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Charter Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kirkwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2017 at 12:28pm
the centric part number i posted is the same part as the moog part.
AMO Newsletter Editor
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic